Best UPNP App for accessing Kodi on Roku
Back a year ago, I read the thread about how there wouldn't be a Roku app. That's fine. The rationale made sense - it's hard enough making a program that works on Apple, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. With UPNP getting better and better on Kodi (and nearly reaching the point of being a viable replacement for MySQL), I was curious if there was a best app to use as a UPNP client on the Roku to access Kodi media.

Thanks!
Mediabrowser3
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
thank you. I'll give it a shot tonight.
XBMC/Kodi upnp (enable in settings) can be browsed on a ROKU via the My Media channel. Nothing else needed. However, it will not transcode so only media compatible with ROKU works, and the browsing interface has a lot to be desired. PLEX and others have trans-coding capability if you want to do something outside of Kodi.
Hmm...didn't see the My Media channel. I have a Roku stick. The media browser app worked for movies...kind of. It took a long time to load then then stopped after a second of playback. For TV shows it says that it doesn't have any compatible movies - that can't be true since the movies and TV shows are encoded exactly the same way. It does work on my Sony BluRay player - although that's outside the bounds of this thread.
(2014-08-25, 19:47)whitebelly Wrote: XBMC/Kodi upnp (enable in settings) can be browsed on a ROKU via the My Media channel. Nothing else needed. However, it will not transcode so only media compatible with ROKU works, and the browsing interface has a lot to be desired. PLEX and others have trans-coding capability if you want to do something outside of Kodi.

Gonna have to agree here. Plex or Mezzmo running outside of Kodi will probably give you a better experience.
(2014-08-25, 23:48)djotaku Wrote: It took a long time to load then then stopped after a second of playback. For TV shows it says that it doesn't have any compatible movies - that can't be true since the movies and TV shows are encoded exactly the same way. It does work on my Sony BluRay player - although that's outside the bounds of this thread.

DIVX/XVID (typically AVI files) won't work. MP4 and MKV x264 encoded video works, but not with DTS audio tracks. AAC or MP3 audio tracks should work. Unfortunately, I don't think you can switch tracks via the ROKU interface even if your video file has multiple tracks. That is why you need something that transcodes.

I had the same slow loading experience with my Roku 2XS, but no freezing. The video stoppage is likely to be due to your wireless connection, I have a hardwired connection. I think you'll find browsing somewhat slow matter what you do if you don't have a Roku 3.
(2014-08-25, 16:23)djotaku Wrote: Back a year ago, I read the thread about how there wouldn't be a Roku app. That's fine. The rationale made sense - it's hard enough making a program that works on Apple, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. With UPNP getting better and better on Kodi (and nearly reaching the point of being a viable replacement for MySQL), I was curious if there was a best app to use as a UPNP client on the Roku to access Kodi media.

Thanks!

UPNP a replacement for mysql? huh, you lost me here dude
Sorry to revive an old thread...Can't believe no one mentioned Universal Media Server. It will transcode anything that the Roku can't and it's free. http://www.universalmediaserver.com/
^Maybe because it has nothing to do with Kodi.
The Roku Media Browser or Media Browser (mentioned above) app/channels works great with Kodi (you need to install either channel onto your Roku device -- just search for either 'roku media' or 'media browser' respectively). I can easily browse and play mp4's with no delays (fast-forwarding, etc). I'm running Kodi 15.2 on a 9 year old Linux desktop system with only 512 MB of RAM (Chalet OS, 14).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best UPNP App for accessing Kodi on Roku0