Better performance with "use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen"?
I get better performance when "use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" is selected. This goes against what I have read that D3D performance should be better than windowed but it's not for me. In "true fullscreen" I get occasional menu lags and stutters browsing media or hitting the info button on movies/tv while windowed mode is butter smooth. Any idea why this is the case?

CPU is Intel G1620 and GPU is AMD 7850. Using Aeon Nox 5 and tested on both versions 13 and 14.
The "use a fullscreen window" setting on tells XBMC to use a slower DirectX mode.
Advantage of using the slower DirectX mode is that it will share the display with other apps.
Cons will often (not always) result in tearing when playing back videos.

Do you have Adjust display refresh rate turned on with aero on win 7 or vista?
Try "Disable desktop composition" option, in the compatibility tab of xbmc.exe's file properties.

If thats not the case try visiting this thread: Link
My problem isn't with audio or video stutter. I don't even use XBMC for playback, I launch MPC-HC. It's strictly menu performance which is smoother in windowed mode when everything I read says it should be the other way around.

I'm using Windows 8.1, I don't think there is a way to disable desktop composition with this version.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Better performance with "use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen"?0