Upgrade from 13.0 to 13.2 XBMCbuntu
HI all,

I am on XBMCBuntu 13.0 and I would like to upgrade to the latest version, although I saw the message to say that I need to manually do this from the Ubuntu respositories.

However I suspect that I'm WAY behind, as my version of Ubuntu is 12.10. I try to apt-get install update-manager-core as pointed out on the Ubuntu site but it doesn't work, neither does a apt-get dist-upgrade (I get a load of Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m...6_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.201 80] type messages)

Can anyone advise how I should proceed please? I'm a little nervous for a full rebuild as I'm using TVheadend as a "production" system and it's heavily used! I will "schedule some downtime" to do this if necessary though :-) It feels like i'm at work!
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
The problem might be, that older ubuntu versions aren't supported anymore and XBMCbuntu 13.2 is on ubuntu 14.04. Ubuntu 12.10 is not a LTS ubuntu. So I suppose you might be best at upgrading Ubuntu first to 14.04 and then do an upgrade or you make a fresh install ob XBMCbuntu from the XBMC download site.. You can backup your userdata folder to keep some settings and other stuff.

Greetings
12.10 mirrors were deleted (and not yet moved to the old releases mirror). I had the same problem myself lately and did not find a way out - besides doing a brute force update by editing /etc/apt/sources.list to point to trusty - I don't recommend that way as it's something for advanced users and you will run into sever breakage :-)

Make a backup of your config files and install xbmcbuntu 14.04 newly.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks guys, can I assume I just need to back up ~/.xbmc/userdata/ and then i'll just need to rebuild my library?
if you backup all of ~./xbmc, you don't need a rescan
Many thanks , i'll do just that :-) looking forward to seeing the newest version
I'm still a bit confused, if I download the latest iso from the xbmcbuntu download page, it saves as file "13.0", does the file on the xbmc homepage actually a new version of linux and kernel ?
xbmcbuntu 13 is based on ubuntu 14.04(trusty), if thats what you are asking.
You'll need to run sudo apt-get update and upgrade to install gotham 13.2 after install.
yes that's what I was asking. Thanks, I'll give it a whirl then in the downtime window tomorrow :-)
All covered and talk about many times in Team XBMC PPA (wiki) only reason why Im posting it "again" is because then if someone is reading this and the other 555 threads about this can find that wiki page Wink
thanks for the link and I'm sorry to have made a repeat thread but I'm sorry to say, It's simply not written in a user friendly manner. I'm finding the same with the wiki for the remotes (which I'm also struggling with) XBMC's product is great and I use it for hours each day, but the documentation is not at the same level.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade from 13.0 to 13.2 XBMCbuntu0