Req Helix UI feature suggestions
Some suggestions and feedback based on current project I'm working on, which aims to provide UI for less tech savvy users. I'm not sure XBMC/Kodi has that kind of users up in a priority list, but still:

MyAddonsNav.xml

There's a need to present all "consumable" add ons in one place as opposed of having them in several categories. Metadata agents and similar stuff should not go there and should probably stay in Add-on Manager which would still provide a way to install, setup or manage all add ons. We can sort "runnable" add ons by category and probably some other criteria as well (e.g. set most used on top) for users with large number of add ons installed

MyFiles.xml

A central place to show all your media sources, folders, attached drives, NASes etc. You can browse and see ALL media files and XBMC would be smart enough to switch to appropriate windows when Select/Play is hit. Currently one must browse video sources from video windows etc. I guess another way of saying it would be "FileBrowser.xml with play capabilities".

Hide ".." parent folder

Consider adding possibility for skinner to turn off parent folders ".." item from a list. Although this actually helps less tech savvy users, problem arise if skin navigation does not match the one that is system built. All is well if you go Videos/Movies/Titles/Content but if this is done differently in a skin e.g. hitting Movies goes directly to content, ".." thing confuses all users that are less experienced, regardless if they are tech savvy or not.

Currently none of the skins users default navigation structure, including Confluence. My guess is it is because of many NAV layers default structure imposes.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

some sort of Addon-Hub is planned - at least that's what I'd also like to see. Also there is already a proposal for a new addon structure in the addon manager - but unfortunately JMarshal is a bit too busy atm and this won't make it's way into Helix. Also personally I'd like to see addons grouped by categories of interrest rather than technical categories (all addons about Gaming, Education, Movies, ...)

as for the ".." parent folder - this can be hidden via settings already - but I guess you'd like to hide it from within the skin
You could already load a custom list in AddonBrowser's root.
I did this in Metroid, Add-ons -> install
I put in all categories, but that's not needed of course.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Myfiles.xml, is already there in some manner, in confluence you goto Videos> files and there you have it all you keep plugging stuff in and it keeps being added to there. Also all the current sources also exist there and all can be browsable.
What would be nice is that in filemanager you didnt have to double up on these entries cause the sources have to be readded here also.

Parent folder, You have already been able to disable it in confluence for years now. Settings/Appearance#File_lists (wiki)
(2014-08-29, 10:52)uNiversal Wrote: Myfiles.xml, is already there in some manner, in confluence you goto Videos> files and there you have it all you keep plugging stuff in and it keeps being added to there. Also all the current sources also exist there and all can be browsable.
What would be nice is that in filemanager you didnt have to double up on these entries cause the sources have to be readded here also.

Parent folder, You have already been able to disable it in confluence for years now. Settings/Appearance#File_lists (wiki)

Either I'm missing something or you did not quite get my proposal. Let me remind you that I'm actually a skin designer and XBMC user since 2008.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I think I understood what you meant, but possibly did not, your descriptions of those two are pretty much what I understand exists (maybe the Videos > files doesnt automatically add music and mixed content and such and automatically handles it.
However the xbmc/kodi filemanager does this already all content all sources (though must be re-added as doesnt read the already existing entries as you are aware) is browsable and automatically handled).

Parent folder can be disabled I know I have it disabled via default confluence skin (as is documented in wiki) so it must work. but Im no skinner.

Yes Im aware you skin designer. Im not.

I was just merely sharing what my experience with those areas are as also a very long time user back to XBMP days if that matters.
@uNiversal

What peckino wants is to let skins have the ability to force the parent folder option to be disabled - currently it is only possible for the user to set this option. This is useful because many skins use different nav structures than the default. For instance, in Eminence I have movie/tv hubs which give access to the various parts of the library (genres, actors, directors etc.) - the user would expect the parent folder item to take them back to the hub but it doesn't and instead goes to the base folder of MyVideoNav, which is a part they never see except if they use the parent folder item.

RE: File Manager - whilst most things can be done from the file manager, I think what peckino wants is a window that operates more like the other library views. For instance, the ability to have multiple views, change sort options, hide watched etc.. Also, because its not a file "manager" per se, it then doesn't need all the file manager options - this makes it safer to let the kids loose on it because they wont accidentally delete something etc. Also means it doesn't need to be double paned. I think this would actually be a really good idea
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
Yes sure, a jacked up filemanager.

Parent folder again, by default any skin can select this by default, confluence does not sure, but it can be via https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...#L183-L187 pre shipped with that option forced on, on any skin on that example you set it to 0

In any case Im not a skinner, and was only sharing my experience, not trying to cause some trouble and not trying to offend anyone by my comments.
@universal - unless im mistaken skins cant set system booleans - we can only read them. That xml is not a file controlled by the skin. Also, no offense taken Smile
(2014-08-29, 16:06)uNiversal Wrote: In any case Im not a skinner, and was only sharing my experience, not trying to cause some trouble and not trying to offend anyone by my comments.

Nobody got offended but since you're not a skinner you may have missed my point and you probably don't realize how this would affect skinning engine/UI. Sure, all of 3 points are partially solvable in some way via skin hacking or Kodi options, however:

* Parent folder - ".." can be turned off in XBMC settings by user but NOT by skinner. On majority of skins, this make navigation more complicated.

* Files - You can navigate your folders and files in FilaManager (after re-adding your sources) but you can't play them. Video windows will show you only video folders and the same goes for music and pictures. If you add Music and Pictures folders to Video sources you can navigate them but all non video files will be a) hidden from you and b) even if you could see them, you still won't be able to play them.

* Add-ons - There's no central place to navigate and play add-ons. This means that if you only use Movies and TVShows in Kodi, you still need to have Videos, Pictures, Programs and Music sections active in order to get to your add ons. If you only use 1 or 2 add ons in each section more efficient and more pretty way to use them would be to find them in one place presented using grid layout.

Those are just a few examples but I'm sure more of them will pop-up in a head of a skinner.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Maybe 'Parent folder' should perform the 'Back' function when a skin uses ,return so they both return to the original place.
(2014-09-10, 09:40)Hitcher Wrote: Maybe 'Parent folder' should perform the 'Back' function when a skin uses ,return so they both return to the original place.
+1 on this idea. Or just perform the back function in general to accomodate custom <onback> commands

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Helix UI feature suggestions0