Update
I am new to this and have been running Gotham 13.1 for about a month now. The other day a saw a pop up in Gothom, I think it was to update my version but I didn't do it because I didn't know if it would change my existing setup. I have since made a backup and have tried to restore it to a new version of Gotham on a new hard drive. I am getting a warning message that I am trying to restore this backup to different version. I have found that the version on my new hard drive is 13.2. My question is, can I upgrade my 13.1 to 13.2 without it changing my existing setup, make another backup and then restore to the 13.2 version my new hard drive? If so how do I go about doing the 13.1 to 13.2 update?
You just install the new version on top of the old version. It's always good to make a backup, but it's not a requirement. Minor updates like 13 to 13.3 will not change any features and are just bug fixes.
For the record: the correct way to make a backup is to copy the entire userdata (wiki) folder somewhere when XBMC is not running.

Then install the newer version of XBMC and start it. It will update your databases.

If you want to go back, install the old version on top, make sure it is not running, and copy the userdata (wiki) folder back.
to be fair to database devs, database file is always copied when version is being bumped so in theory(not that its always the case) running 12.3 on 13.2 userfolder should be possible
(2014-08-26, 16:54)Ned Scott Wrote: You just install the new version on top of the old version. It's always good to make a backup, but it's not a requirement. Minor updates like 13 to 13.3 will not change any features and are just bug fixes.

Thanks for your response. (install the new version on top of the old version) How is this done? running windows vista
Assuming you're running Windows, download the latest version file and run it. If not, post your OS.
I this question for a long time: why cant Xbmc be updated inside, like other software, why we must download the next version and replace the older version?
(2014-10-05, 13:52)romano Wrote: I this question for a long time: why cant Xbmc be updated inside, like other software, why we must download the next version and replace the older version?

because we simply haven't got the interest to do this.

I mean upgrading is quite simple. Download & install on top, start. Maybe 10 minutes in total
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update1