• 58(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2017-09-25, 06:22)mrmarkfr Wrote: Perfect, thanks!! I'm not interested in keeping Chrome, was more curious if I would be able to boot from the external drive automatically, instead of having to go through Seabios, and hitting escape

you can set SeaBIOS to automatically boot from external/USB devices -- it's an option in my script when installing the RW_LEGACY firmware
It's been a while since I installed SeaBios, how do I get back into it to modify it. Ctrl-L on the dev screen?
I have it working now, with an external drive, I just don't want to screw it up, so I'm being cautious.
(2017-09-25, 16:15)mrmarkfr Wrote: It's been a while since I installed SeaBios, how do I get back into it to modify it. Ctrl-L on the dev screen?
I have it working now, with an external drive, I just don't want to screw it up, so I'm being cautious.

boot ChromeOS (CTRL+D) and re-run my EZ Setup Script. Select the option to update the RW_LEGACY firmware under the dual boot heading. It will prompt you to choose to default to USB or SSD when booting SeaBIOS.
Perfect, it worked!! Win10 up and running on an external ssd.
Hello Matt,
Greetings!! 
You helped me last time with my Chromebox setup for Win 10 + LibreELEC dual boot with rEFInd.
I am trying to install (along with Win+LibreELEC) Android TV OS on my Chromebox as triple boot by using TOSanthony's development [https://forum.xda-developers.com/general...6-t3726365]; I tried your method of putting boot stanza in the kernel folder for rEFInd but no success. I don't know where I am doing wrong.

Appreciate your help & brainpower Smile

Regards,
S.Singh
(2018-12-24, 17:11)S.Singh Wrote: Hello Matt,
Greetings!! 
You helped me last time with my Chromebox setup for Win 10 + LibreELEC dual boot with rEFInd.
I am trying to install (along with Win+LibreELEC) Android TV OS on my Chromebox as triple boot by using TOSanthony's development [https://forum.xda-developers.com/general...6-t3726365]; I tried your method of putting boot stanza in the kernel folder for rEFInd but no success. I don't know where I am doing wrong.

Appreciate your help & brainpower Smile

Regards,
S.Singh
 well, if your rEFInd config is set to auto-scan, it should pick up the AndroidTV install without issue since it's just a Linux kernel, but might depend on custom boot config etc.  I'd have to install it and see
Thanks, Matt. I can't resolve this issue without your help. btw i am using following boot stanza :
"AndroidTV" "boot=LABEL=AndroidTV disk=LABEL=AndroidTV/data quiet tty ssh"
Do you think making another folder for data could resolve the issue? i did try android TV OS by installing on an external USB stick, it worked fine on my old Mac book 2012 but Chromebox no sound on HDMI.
Picked up some great laptop deals for boxing day and time to retire my Asus i3 and i7 that have served me well as a Windows 10 desktop (thanks to this information and mrchromebox).  I reloaded the stock ChromeOS firmware and the Chromebox is asking me to insert a recovery USB stick or SD card.  I have tried creating a number of recovery USB and SD card using the Chromebook Recovery Utility.

Everytime I insert the USB or SD into the Asus Chromebox, get an error stating the "Chrome OS is missing or damaged".  I have created a number of mediums but get the same error.  I used the ASUS Chromebox CN60 for model number in the recovery utility...even tried the CN62.  Firmware write protect screw has been removed.

The error at the top of the screen shows:

gbb.flags is nonzero: 0x000000b8
read-only firmware id:  Google_Panther.4920.24.21
active firmware id: Google_Panther.4920.24.21

Any help would be appreciated!
(2018-12-28, 18:40)hank0 Wrote: Picked up some great laptop deals for boxing day and time to retire my Asus i3 and i7 that have served me well as a Windows 10 desktop (thanks to this information and mrchromebox).  I reloaded the stock ChromeOS firmware and the Chromebox is asking me to insert a recovery USB stick or SD card.  I have tried creating a number of recovery USB and SD card using the Chromebook Recovery Utility.

Everytime I insert the USB or SD into the Asus Chromebox, get an error stating the "Chrome OS is missing or damaged".  I have created a number of mediums but get the same error.  I used the ASUS Chromebox CN60 for model number in the recovery utility...even tried the CN62.  Firmware write protect screw has been removed.

The error at the top of the screen shows:

gbb.flags is nonzero: 0x000000b8
read-only firmware id:  Google_Panther.4920.24.21
active firmware id: Google_Panther.4920.24.21

Any help would be appreciated!
 "ChromeOS is missing/damaged" is Recovery Mode.  On that screen, you insert the recovery media, and it will detect, validate, and then reload ChromeOS. If nothing happens when you're inserting the media, then try using different media or a different port -- that's all you can do.  Using recovery media for a different model will fail immediately so don't waste your time with that. The GBB flags being displayed isn't an error, it's informational since they are non-zero.  You will need to reset them using my Firmware Utility Script after reloading/booting ChromeOS before you will be able to exit developer mode.
(2018-12-28, 19:47)Matt Devo Wrote:  "ChromeOS is missing/damaged" is Recovery Mode.  On that screen, you insert the recovery media, and it will detect, validate, and then reload ChromeOS. If nothing happens when you're inserting the media, then try using different media or a different port -- that's all you can do.  Using recovery media for a different model will fail immediately so don't waste your time with that. The GBB flags being displayed isn't an error, it's informational since they are non-zero.  You will need to reset them using my Firmware Utility Script after reloading/booting ChromeOS before you will be able to exit developer mode.

Thanks Matt. I tried a newer USB drive and it worked like a charm.
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4