• 54(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2017-01-15, 21:39)Matt Devo Wrote: maybe use the WASAPI option instead of diriectsound? I know you need to use that for passthru. This seems more like a general Windows/Kodi config issue than a Chromebox specific one, might get more help in the Windows support forum

Using passthru seemed to help, thanks!
But i have amother problem: when trying to wake the devixe ou from sleep, the power led light, then goes dark again and thats it. After that i meed to boot it again using the power button..

Also i now have hdmi issues i havent had before (when using an old legecy bios).

The box refuses to boot on my avr -> tv setup when the tv is turned on, when the tv is off and only the avr is on it boots fine.. never had this issue before..

Thanks for your awsome work!
I was looking through MrChromebox.tech, and it mentions that the Samsung chromebox series 3 has UEFI support now. Does this mean that the C710 fixes have been applied to stumpy, or is it still unable to run Windows?
(2017-01-17, 09:39)ItMightBeRain Wrote: I was looking through MrChromebox.tech, and it mentions that the Samsung chromebox series 3 has UEFI support now. Does this mean that the C710 fixes have been applied to stumpy, or is it still unable to run Windows?

neither =P Stumpy doesn't have an official UEFI release yet as I'm still trying to figure out why the DisplayPort output won't work with it (DVI works fine). If you'd like to test it in its current state, shoot me a PM/email
(2017-01-17, 16:19)Matt Devo Wrote: neither =P Stumpy doesn't have an official UEFI release yet as I'm still trying to figure out why the DisplayPort output won't work with it (DVI works fine). If you'd like to test it in its current state, shoot me a PM/email

E-mail sent!
(2017-01-17, 16:19)Matt Devo Wrote: neither =P Stumpy doesn't have an official UEFI release yet as I'm still trying to figure out why the DisplayPort output won't work with it (DVI works fine). If you'd like to test it in its current state, shoot me a PM/email

Hey Matt.

I did a Windows 10 Pro install on DVI with your beta UEFI, and once the system did the initial Intel display driver update, I was able to plug the PPA DP to HDMI adapter into either display port and it worked after a driver install dialogue.

All in all, great job!

I did notice that the fan wasn't turning on, I installed speedfan and that worked but the issue was a missing intel platform and thermal framework driver. Downloaded one from HP, updated the chipset drivers, and everything works.
(2017-01-19, 20:54)ItMightBeRain Wrote: Hey Matt.

I did a Windows 10 Pro install on DVI with your beta UEFI, and once the system did the initial Intel display driver update, I was able to plug the PPA DP to HDMI adapter into either display port and it worked after a driver install dialogue.

All in all, great job!

I did notice that the fan wasn't turning on, I installed speedfan and that worked but the issue was a missing intel platform and thermal framework driver. Downloaded one from HP, updated the chipset drivers, and everything works.

great, thanks for the report Smile
Okay i have managed to resolve the boot issues with a HDMI switch. I think it was a handshake issue, no idea why it appeared when installing the UEFI firmware..

So almost everything works now, except waking up from suspend..
If i try to wake up with the keyboard, the power LED lights up for half a second or so, and the goes dark again. after that nothng happens. If i push the power button the box boots as if i had shut it down.
I am using the lastest uefi firmware

Thanks for helping!
(2017-01-24, 21:51)michi_jl Wrote: Okay i have managed to resolve the boot issues with a HDMI switch. I think it was a handshake issue, no idea why it appeared when installing the UEFI firmware..

So almost everything works now, except waking up from suspend..
If i try to wake up with the keyboard, the power LED lights up for half a second or so, and the goes dark again. after that nothng happens. If i push the power button the box boots as if i had shut it down.
I am using the lastest uefi firmware

Thanks for helping!

try disabling hibernate and fast startup (which makes shutdown hibernate instead); S3 suspend/resume should work properly
(2016-12-12, 05:55)dukem Wrote: What version of windows 10 is best to use with the cn60/M004u celeron with 2GB? Has anyone looked at Windows 10 for IoT (IoT Core)? It seems that this is a 'free' version that is available to builders and makers. This might help with people that simply want to build a Kodi/Plex box, but not necessarily have to deal with LibreElec or OpenElec. Windows is easier sometimes Smile

But I don't want to pay a full blown license for Windows 10 simply to use it to run Kodi/Plex front end. Thanks!

To answer myself in case someone needs this later. I am currently running bbsc's suggested Windows 10 EnterpriseS N (LTSB) and its running pretty great!

Had some issues with the HDMI sound but it seems because there were no speakers/headphones connected to the monitor so windows didn't correctly install the HDMI driver. Once I plugged in headphones, and reinstalled the driver, everything was good to go.

The other issue was when the windows setup rebooted the machine, it would start the installation again. I needed to manually remove the install USB key, after the reboot for the setup to complete.

Now to see if I can get all of my other apps used to populate my local KODI library running so I can take those apps off the NAS.

Thanks all!
(2017-01-25, 03:03)Matt Devo Wrote: try disabling hibernate and fast startup (which makes shutdown hibernate instead); S3 suspend/resume should work properly

Thanks for the quick anwer, unfortunately that didn't help..
is there any type of log i can provide you with? I could make a video, but you wont be able to see much more tahn what i told you..
(2017-01-25, 21:56)michi_jl Wrote: Thanks for the quick anwer, unfortunately that didn't help..
is there any type of log i can provide you with? I could make a video, but you wont be able to see much more tahn what i told you..

the best place to get support for Windows on ChromeOS devices is at https://www.reddit.com/r/chrultrabook

Is this something that's reproducible when manually putting the device to sleep, or does it require having to wait a bit of time?
Are all devices in Device Manager listed as properly installed / working?
(2016-01-21, 19:27)coolstar Wrote: Here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5996...-tools.zip

use intel_audio_enable-cbox and intel_audio_disable-cbox if you're on a chromebox (PIPE_A). intel_audio_enable and intel_audio_disable are for the chromebooks (PIPE_B).

coolstar is so cool he came up with a tool that lets us chromebox owners enable hdmi audio in Windows 8.1 as well as in Windows 10. Could you coolstar or anyone else who has the intel-hdmi-tools.zip repost this file here publicly in this thread because the link in that post is no longer valid.
(2017-01-27, 10:13)Netuzist Wrote: coolstar is so cool he came up with a tool that lets us chromebox owners enable hdmi audio in Windows 8.1 as well as in Windows 10. Could you coolstar or anyone else who has the intel-hdmi-tools.zip repost this file here publicly in this thread because the link in that post is no longer valid.

that tool isn't needed anyone, HDMI audio works OOTB now with the UEFI firmware.
(2017-01-25, 08:30)dukem Wrote:
(2016-12-12, 05:55)dukem Wrote: What version of windows 10 is best to use with the cn60/M004u celeron with 2GB? Has anyone looked at Windows 10 for IoT (IoT Core)? It seems that this is a 'free' version that is available to builders and makers. This might help with people that simply want to build a Kodi/Plex box, but not necessarily have to deal with LibreElec or OpenElec. Windows is easier sometimes Smile

But I don't want to pay a full blown license for Windows 10 simply to use it to run Kodi/Plex front end. Thanks!

To answer myself in case someone needs this later. I am currently running bbsc's suggested Windows 10 EnterpriseS N (LTSB) and its running pretty great!

Had some issues with the HDMI sound but it seems because there were no speakers/headphones connected to the monitor so windows didn't correctly install the HDMI driver. Once I plugged in headphones, and reinstalled the driver, everything was good to go.

The other issue was when the windows setup rebooted the machine, it would start the installation again. I needed to manually remove the install USB key, after the reboot for the setup to complete.

Now to see if I can get all of my other apps used to populate my local KODI library running so I can take those apps off the NAS.

Thanks all!

Where did you get Windows 10 EnterpriseS N (LTSB)? I couldn't google it? Does it require a license?
(2017-01-27, 15:30)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-01-27, 10:13)Netuzist Wrote: coolstar is so cool he came up with a tool that lets us chromebox owners enable hdmi audio in Windows 8.1 as well as in Windows 10. Could you coolstar or anyone else who has the intel-hdmi-tools.zip repost this file here publicly in this thread because the link in that post is no longer valid.

that tool isn't needed anyone, HDMI audio works OOTB now with the UEFI firmware.

So hdmi audio works both in Windows 8.1 & Windows 10 with the latest UEFI firmware ? Do you mean you fixed the hdmi audio issue that was in the UEFI portion of your Custom Core Boot firmware that is part of your EZ setup script installs to in unmodified chromeboxes ? Do you mean that ? If yes, how where you able to do it ? Can you give me an easy to understand explanation of that ? Or is it too complicated ? How about other issues ? Are there any other issues present when installing Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 in the Asus Chromebox ? Driver issues especially ?
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4