Advantages to using my personal proxy server?
I've recently setup up a Squid proxy server on my home network with the intention of improving internet speed thanks to its caching ability. I'm wondering if setting up my xbmc box to use it will improve anything. Due to the fact that the add-ons stream videos I can't see the caching doing any good unless I end up rewatching something later on that still happens to be stored in cache. Which I rarely rewatch stuff. Do you think that maybe it'll speed up the caching of movie posters and other data? Although I know that xbmc maintains its own cache so once again I'm back to questioning the advantage to configuring my box to use my proxy server. Opinions?
Anyone?
Setting up XBMC to use a proxy is trivial, and thus tbh I would expect you to be able to test benefits/drawbacks with and without in about 1 hour or less and post the results yourself, thus answering yourself the question you pose and answering it for everyone else who may be looking into this.

IMO for speeding up caching of artwork its not up to any way of accessing the data from external sites aside from your speed and server response, its a whole different business that is related to how texture#.db is populated (requires you to browse library or use 3rd party tool like texturecache.py) and perhaps speed of disk (where userdata (wiki)Thumbnails is stored. Neither of which any type of proxy can improve. This is assuming all your files are named correctly.

Im not entirely sure how it can improve any speed of internet access up/down streams. That limit is set by isp, no? You need to pre-cache the complete online database to see some benefit for say tvdb or tmdb. Seems clunky to me.

In any case I go back to my first paragraph, and am interested mildly on those test results, but not interested at all in any endless discussion of the finer points of benefits/drawbacks of a proxy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advantages to using my personal proxy server?0