uPnP instead of SQL
I hope this hasn't been covered already but I'd love to see uPnP take the place of SQL. After seeing how easy it was to set up sources with Playon via UPnP I realized that UPnP instead of SQL on XBMC would be huge. I use SQL because I'm an advanced user and I don't mind navigating the directories and copying files, etc. For the everyday person (someone like my Dad) a simple uPnP source would be incredible. Full syncing across the network of media, watched status, etc. and no need to install and configure mySQL or mess with XML files. I think I remember reading somewhere somebody saying that UPnP was meant to take over for SQL some day. I just wasn't sure if it was true. Again, I don't mind it the way it is but I think it's definitely an "advanced user" feature and it really shouldn't have to be.

If I take my own post off topic, even a model a like Plex would be great. A full server program that manages media on your server or NAS and then each client just "sees" the media and has full resume capability. That might be a huge undertaking, I don't know. You need devs willing to write packages for some of the popular NAS's as well as just regular server software.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
That's the plan, and I'm certain we've mentioned it many times on the forums :)

MySQL will one day no longer be necessary, and UPnP will take care of most of the functions, along with some other XBMC-to-XBMC communications if needed, like JSON-RPC. Library sharing/syncing for the common man.
Yeah I'm sure Ned. The forums being busy plus my crap memory probably contributed. I assume this is not in the works for Helix yet? Not a deal breaker for me at all but boy would it be a cool feature. I wish I knew how to code or I'd contribute besides monetarily.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Before I get to far into it, does UPnP work right no for sharing media from my Synology NAS? I was starting to follow some instructions that were written for an older version of DSM but when it set up dms_upd I got an error "The following router port numbers conflict: 1900". I don't even know how to fix that. What I really want to know is if I should even play with this or wait for XBMC to officially support it.
For library metadata it only works XBMC to XBMC right now, and there's some bugs. Various features here and there might show up in Helix, but most of the good stuff will be afterwards, IIRC. Enhancements and whatnot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
uPnP instead of SQL0