Idea for stackable NUC accessories
Hi all,

I came up with an idea for stackable NUC accessories. I posted a video of the prototypes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqyLADBrxng

I'd appreciate your thoughts. I'm trying to see if this is something a lot of NUC users would be interested in.

Thanks!

Jason
I had to take the video down temporarily (to remove the audio). I'll have the new version up shortly.
Ok, it's back up, minus the annoying background noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqyLADBrxng
Very cool
Looks cool, though I would prefer a 3.5" HDD bay. Currently I stack my NUC on my 2 TB Seagate ext hdd.
Should be possible to add a slimline Bluray drive as well I should think.
Something is amiss with such a concept as the rear cabling will become unmanagable rather quickly (its even evident on teh video that the weight of the cabling could be a problem).
It also migrates from the concept of hanging the NUC off the back of a monitor (which is a selling point if i'm not mistaken but something i've never worried about).

IMHO, if we are to migrate, might as well do a good job of it.

What would be better solution is to move away from the NUC form factor a little and allow it to grow in size.
You should aim for a design that incorporates a stackable system bus accessable via a connector on the rear top (that would not be dissimilar mechanically to the connectors with covering flaps seen on the bottom of older laptop).
Such a stackable system bus should provide data and power and allow a huge variety of devices to be hot pluggable.
The stakable device should also make the system bus available to other stakable devices via the same connector on it's top.
The bandwidth needed by the stakable device should be negotiable at insertion with the spare bandwidth being made available to other stakables that may be placed on it's top.
It should be possible to base the stakable connector on hotplug PCIe, then the stackables would contain the appropriate PCIe function and request the appropriate bandwdth.

We could finally get 150mm (or even 200mm) wide low power passively cooled base device.

As it's PCIe based, the stakable can contain a number of functions in the box, for example ODD with a bunch of FTA TV cards.
We could finally see a low power media stogare stackable that could contain x10 (or x20) 2.5" HDD/SSD (and push the sale of SSD even further).
Heck Intel could even design SSD with slower writes/reads but longer life ideal for media storage Smile
And later when 4K gaming arives, there could be a GPU stakable.

If we have a real wish list, get Intel to migrate ECC functionality down the pipe and onto the hands of consumers and this new stakable base unit.
After all my data is just as important as the data on a large server farm, it's just that i don't have buttomless pockets...

As for the stakable solution with external cabling, it's not really an Intel solution and is something more of an aftermarket after thought product that should be left to 3rd party suppliers (if at all)...
I'm a XBMC novice :)
I like the idea very much, and maybe good enough of an marketing concept for a Kickstarer / Indiegogo project?

Another big question though is if this would only be for the current-generation NUC or also for the next-generation NUCs?

The next-generation NUC that is coming late 2014 or early 2015 is said to no longer use the same sized chassi.
http://www.fanlesstech.com/2014/08/exclu...uc-20.html
http://liliputing.com/2014/08/intels-nex...admap.html
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/02/n...d-roadmap/

It is by the way a similar concept to EzeeCube with its EzeeStack modules which I also like
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ezeec...ur-content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EHbwsZuDbg

XBMC hardware discussion threads about EzeeCube concept
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=202930
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=197141

For one all your stackable modules could also be an easy way to add a IR-reciever to NUC models without IR.

And like the EzeeCube otherstacking modules for NUC could be
- Open-bay with integrated SATA2-to-USB converter for adding a 3.5-inch harddrive
- Blu-ray Disc reader and DVD-ROM combo drive
- DVB-T2/C2/S2 dual or hybrid TV-tuners with CAM Module for SmartCard reader
- Cartridge reader for retro game console cartridges such as Nintendo NES/SNES and Sega Genesis
- UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) stack module with battery with power pass-through for NUC as a server

This stacking concept makes the NUC even better when thinking of it for your non-techie friend and family

(2014-08-28, 12:39)skylarking Wrote: You should aim for a design that incorporates a stackable system bus accessable via a connector on the rear top (that would not be dissimilar mechanically to the connectors with covering flaps seen on the bottom of older laptop).
Such a stackable system bus should provide data and power and allow a huge variety of devices to be hot pluggable.
The stakable device should also make the system bus available to other stakable devices via the same connector on it's top.
That is what EzeeCube design uses, with each stack module also acting as a USB hub and USB repeater:

Suspend the stacking connectors such that when not in use, they are hidden and when stack comes on top, magnets in the connectors establish data/current flow

The issue I have with EzeeCube is that its arm based instead of X86 based like a stackable NUC would be.
(2014-08-28, 12:27)Topken Wrote: Should be possible to add a slimline Bluray drive as well I should think.

Yes indeed. I thought of two ways to handle an optical drive.

First, I thought about an exposed drive like the old Sony Discman's from the 90s. The disk would stick out of the corner of the unit. It would look cool. It would be difficult and expensive to manufacture, and would probably not last very long.

The other idea is to create an external drive that mimics the look & feel of a NUC but with a slightly smaller footprint and the recesses on top to receive the NUC’s feet. This creates a unique “layered” look that is quite attractive. A standard external DVD drive could be easily modified for this purpose. It would sacrifice a bit of the footprint, but would be easy to make.

(2014-08-28, 12:39)skylarking Wrote: Something is amiss with such a concept as the rear cabling will become unmanagable rather quickly (its even evident on teh video that the weight of the cabling could be a problem).
It also migrates from the concept of hanging the NUC off the back of a monitor (which is a selling point if i'm not mistaken but something i've never worried about).

IMHO, if we are to migrate, might as well do a good job of it.

What would be better solution is to move away from the NUC form factor a little and allow it to grow in size.
You should aim for a design that incorporates a stackable system bus accessable via a connector on the rear top (that would not be dissimilar mechanically to the connectors with covering flaps seen on the bottom of older laptop).
The bandwidth needed by the stakable device should be negotiable at insertion with the spare bandwidth being made available to other stakables that may be placed on it's top.
It should be possible to base the stakable connector on hotplug PCIe, then the stackables would contain the appropriate PCIe function and request the appropriate bandwdth.

We could finally get 150mm (or even 200mm) wide low power passively cooled base device.

As it's PCIe based, the stakable can contain a number of functions in the box, for example ODD with a bunch of FTA TV cards.
We could finally see a low power media stogare stackable that could contain x10 (or x20) 2.5" HDD/SSD (and push the sale of SSD even further).
Heck Intel could even design SSD with slower writes/reads but longer life ideal for media storage Smile
And later when 4K gaming arives, there could be a GPU stakable.

If we have a real wish list, get Intel to migrate ECC functionality down the pipe and onto the hands of consumers and this new stakable base unit.
After all my data is just as important as the data on a large server farm, it's just that i don't have buttomless pockets...

As for the stakable solution with external cabling, it's not really an Intel solution and is something more of an aftermarket after thought product that should be left to 3rd party suppliers (if at all)...

You're missing the point, which I called out at the beginning of the video: the idea is specifically for people who DON'T want to move to a new, larger case. People (like you) who are ok with a larger footprint already have several options for after-market cases. This idea is for the user who wants something they can buy and plug in, without hassling with case work.
Actually I thought about the cabling and it wouldn't be a problem. Using a 3" flat cable with 90" connectors, which would be standard, the cables would be unobtrusive and manageable. Also, standardizing the modules with at least one USB port would allow daisy chaining (as shown in the video). I doubt very much anyone would use as many as I stacked up in the video. As for your suggestions about accessing the internal PCIe, other companies are already doing that.

I appreciate the feedback but most of what you're saying is stating the obvious: "you can go with a bigger case", "you can get more working with the internal connectors","it's an aftermarket solution". All of that is quite plain.

My question wasn't "Is this a perfect idea for everyone?" I just wanted to see if there was interest in this idea.
"Another big question though is if this would only be for the current-generation NUC or also for the next-generation NUCs? The next-generation NUC that is coming late 2014 or early 2015 is said to no longer use the same sized chassi."

The next generation is very slightly slimmer from side to side but the difference is negligible when they're stacked.

This design fits well with all generations of the NUC, even the old ones, because the four feet are positioned the same.

I can make a video today of the stackable units with all three generations to show what it looks like. Stand by.

(2014-08-28, 08:44)suku_patel_22 Wrote: Looks cool, though I would prefer a 3.5" HDD bay. Currently I stack my NUC on my 2 TB Seagate ext hdd.

Remember, these are just concepts. There are many different devices that would benefit from this. I was showing the smallest ones I can make, but I plan to make a 3.5" dock as well (mainly because I have an old dock I can cannibalize for parts).
I think if you took this idea to kickstarter you would do really well. Nuc is highly popular and Ezzeecube managed it and IMO its not as good as yours. what you got to lose. I actually like and can see this really taking of. well done
"It also migrates from the concept of hanging the NUC off the back of a monitor (which is a selling point if i'm not mistaken but something i've never worried about)."

Actually there's a surprisingly large number of people who don't mount them on the monitor. People like the look and having it out on a desk, or in your TV cabinet, looks very nice. In fact that's part of where the idea came from. I have a NUC in my TV cabinet (love it as an HTPC) and originally had a USB tuner, hub, and external hard drive connected to. I kept trying to "hide" everything so it still looked good. Ultimately I thought "wouldn't it be better if all those things could look like a NUC so I didn't have to hide them?

The idea also solves cabling issues. Imagine all of those things connected with a USB and power cable and you'll see it gets messy. But with stackable modules, powered by USB (and eventually with short, flat cables) it looks cleaner and you don't even see the cables.
Yeah Jason, i must have missed the wording within the begining of your video, sorry Smile

Like you, i like the look of the NUC and would also place it on/in the TV cabinet when/if i get one.
That's why i've never worried about hanging one off the back of a TV screen Smile
And since i would have it on/in the TV cabinet, i never needed a NUC to be as small as it is currently.

Ideally, Intel should consider selling a physically bigger NUC (passively cooled) which i suspect would sell well and gather a following, possibly more so if they took the stackable idea and ran with it.
(and this would be more the case if Intel priced their NUCs a little more reasonably as one can get a similarly powered laptop at a cheaper price)
(and remember that a laptop comes with HDD, WiFi, RAM, screen, keyboard and a UPS - but thats a completely different topic)
(maybe that's just the downside of the region i'm living in - and that's yet another topic)

Anyway a bigger NUC solution is something i'd like to see from Intel itself.
But you'd know more than me whether there is hope for an internal skunks project to 'repackage' the NUC, create stackables and show it off to management.
And if Intel then ran with it, i wouldn't have to mess with cases either Wink

From a non Intel perspective, stackables with optimised cabling (short with right angle connectors at each end) would still be good to see for the current NUC and yes this would minimise the rear cable clutter.
Such stakables with short flat cables are reminisant of some Sony mini sound systems of the 80's (giving away too much here Smile ) and this would likely please many NUC fans.
With another set of optimized cables that allow side by side placement, you would provide for people like me that aren't fans of the heady look when a few stackables are used Smile

Either way, like many i would prefer an x86 solution to an arm base solution like EzeeCude.
But who knows, i may change my mind once i see/hear EzeeCube in action...

I guess the question that now pops to mind is how much power can the base NUC provide to each stakable?
What sort of upper limit does this provide without needing separate stackable power bricks?
Does the current NUC even have a charging USB port (capable of 2A)?

You may fully convert me yet Big Grin
I'm a XBMC novice :)
"Ideally, Intel should consider selling a physically bigger NUC (passively cooled) which i suspect would sell well and gather a following, possibly more so if they took the stackable idea and ran with it. "

This was just my own personal idea. There are others coming (hint, hint)

"I guess the question that now pops to mind is how much power can the base NUC provide to each stakable?"

Funny you mention that: my original design for the home theater hub included a powered usb hub. In the end I didn't need it but it's easy enough to do...just depends on the parts you choose.

"Does the current NUC even have a charging USB port (capable of 2A)?"

No, the current one doesn't. Wink And why settle for 2A?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Idea for stackable NUC accessories0