legacy video card
Hi,

I am a newbie here. I want to use XBMC on Linux oooonly for collect ans sort my media directories on different devices at home. I will play it them on another devices (TV). I am using a legacy video card on my computer (Nvidia 7000 series) and at start XBMC says that it needs such video card which is able to make hardware rendering... Confused
Should I buy a newer video card Huh

Thanks in advance
I think it would be easier to simply install Ubuntu then install Serviio or any other UPnP/DLNA media server in their app store if I'm understanding you correctly, that will stream media to the other DLNA TV's on your network. No need to go buy a new graphics card just to run XBMC and XBMC's UPnP server is really only good for other XBMC clients, it's not great for streaming to other devices that may require transcoding video as XBMC lacks this feature.
The problem with that Starstream is that the CPU in the OPs PC might not be up to the task of transcoding
(2014-08-28, 16:43)Starstream Wrote: I think it would be easier to simply install Ubuntu then install Serviio or any other UPnP/DLNA media server in their app store if I'm understanding you correctly, that will stream media to the other DLNA TV's on your network. No need to go buy a new graphics card just to run XBMC and XBMC's UPnP server is really only good for other XBMC clients, it's not great for streaming to other devices that may require transcoding video as XBMC lacks this feature.

The machine and the op. system is default: Opensuse 13.1
I would like to use XBMC remotely with Plex as the tutorial described.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Add-on:PleXBMC

I have installed fresh XBMC and Plex without problem but XBMC send error message at start (no HW rendering in videocard).
I have changed the video card to that definitely supports hardware rendering. Nothing happened. Any idea?
"XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver."

I simply cannot start the graphical system on OpenSUSE 13.1.
The driver SUPPORTS that feature. Then?
What drivers are you using?
(2014-08-30, 13:54)venember Wrote: "XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver."

I simply cannot start the graphical system on OpenSUSE 13.1.
The driver SUPPORTS that feature. Then?

But the feature disabled because some OpenGL problems... Sad
Like I said what GPU drivers are you using? You are likely going to need to use the proprietary drivers for openGL to work
Why are you trying to install xbmc on a machine that you don't want to watch xbmc? If this machine is a server it only needs file sharing ie either smb or nfs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-30, 20:24)Topken Wrote: Like I said what GPU drivers are you using? You are likely going to need to use the proprietary drivers for openGL to work

Yes. I am fighting with the remote server's soft OpenGL support till now... I think it is an op. system problem of the distro somehow...
I have the hard accelerator driver also, but do not seems to work.
I will send the result if it will be.
(2014-08-30, 23:16)nickr Wrote: Why are you trying to install xbmc on a machine that you don't want to watch xbmc? If this machine is a server it only needs file sharing ie either smb or nfs.

Because I want to use the xbmc/Plex extraordinary jukebox system also on the client an streams from the WAN server also...

I have installed the Plex on my local machine and organized my media on my LAN with Plex.I play it at home without problem.
But there are some media on a WAN server (on the net somewhere) and there are some media on that also.
I want to play the local and remote media at home (mainly on TV's) via Plex (the TVs support Plex server DLNA feature).
I suppose that I can reach the WAN server's media via remote XBMC.. is it wrong?
Any better idea?
Install XBMC on the machines that are attached to your TV via HDMI.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Other news:

There are LOTS OF problems with the Opensuse OS and the drivers, finally solved.

The program started after full refreshing, some error messages:

p11-kit: invalid config filename, will be ignored in the future: /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module
/usr/lib64/xbmc/xbmc.bin: relocation error: /usr/lib64/libavformat.so.55: symbol av_reallocp, version LIBAVUTIL_52 not defined in file libavutil.so.52 with link time reference

After this, the program steps out. All libraries are refreshed.

(2014-09-01, 21:48)nickr Wrote: Install XBMC on the machines that are attached to your TV via HDMI.
I have no so long cable because one of the machine is situated from 40 km's far from the server-hosted machine...
I think you are horribly confused.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
legacy video card0