Superslow loading movies, TV-shows ok
Hi,

When trying to start a movie on my HTPC, XBMC (Kodi) uses about 4-5 minutes loading the file before finally starting. Once started, the file is played nicely, no stuttering, sound ok, etc. However, if I start a TV-show, the file is started instantly. My files are located on a NAS using SMB protocol for transfer. I have ~50 movie files, each in its separate (and correctly named) folder under \movies\.

The network consist of a powerline (PL) wiring system, which is the NAS and HTPC is connected like this: NAS<--->PL1<--[FLOOR]-->PL2<--->ROUTER<--->PL2<--[FLOOR]-->PL3<--->HTPC
I realize it may seem as a messy/complicated path/system, but it actually works werry well, including as mentioned TVshows. Other (win) media players handles the movie files quite well, but I want to use XBMC ofcourse! Smile

My own troubleshooting consist of:
- trying various file types,
- refreshing/deleting/updating library,
- uninstalling/installing xbmc,
- disabling NAS hdd sleep mode

I have XBMC installed on HTPC with no DVD player, no keyboard, Win7, 64-bit, 4GB RAM Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz system; running XBMC 13.1; using the Amber skin.
The log file is found here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=280486

Thank you.
I see a lot of this... and a lot of time wasted trying to load invalid picture sizes, points at a corrupt image sizes. Temp rename your thumbnail folder and see if the movies start promptly Hunting down corrupt jpegs can be cumbersome but not impossible given the amount of files you have.

ERROR: ffmpeg[1014]: [IMGUTILS] Picture size 0x0 is invalid
ERROR: ffmpeg[1014]: [IMGUTILS] Picture size 1280x38545632 is invalid

There are a few audio discontinuity errors, you might want to confirm your audio settings with the audio wiki thread.
PatK, thanks for your input. Sadly, renaming the thumbnail folder did not change anything, and I could not find any corrupt images either. By the way, how would those images become corrupt in the first place?

I have another PC, connected directly to the router. I have XBMC 13.2 installed there as well, but everything is fine even though using the same files in the library.

I appreciate other suggestions?
I've personally run into this myself... Looking at the thumbnail folder as jpegs, it was clear I had a few half images with corruptions. a simple deletion brought the library back In other cases it was necessary to delete the entire user library and thumbnails (the hash #s connections got scrambled). I suspect that 3rd party add-ons or writes to the thumbnail folder get interrupted (timeouts, crashes etc). I haven't had an issue for about 2 generations now, and I update with a fresh re-scan between generations so any potential issues are lost. Your experience more or less echo mine. It just might be quicker to do a full deletetion of your C: and Raoming folders, re-install and re-scan.
I am convinced! I've now done a clean install, deleting also the roaming folder. Even though I did not find any corrupt images when going through them manually, it did in fact help. I've never deleted that folder during a re-install before, as I never suspected that to be the issue. And I also believe you are right when regarding how the file corruption happens; I've experienced quite a of few crashes when exiting XBMC.

So even though the slow loading time issue is ok, I guess I have to dig again to find the root cause of the crashes.I guess I'll start a new thread for that Smile

PatK, thank you very much for you help! Maybe my days of frustration is over.
Let's have another debug log and see where the time is wasted...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Superslow loading movies, TV-shows ok0