Win Is this possible to do? Virtualised xbmc?
Hi,

I have my PC close to my TV and was thinking instead of building or buying another HTPC can i just install XBMC on visualised environment but have the HDMI output dedicated to the TV? so i can use both PC and HTPC at the same time.

I have Vmware Workstation 9, I know it may be possible with right hardware to do this with ESXI.

My Hardware

Intel 3770K CPU

Gigabyet G1 Motherboard M3

32Gb Ram G Skills 2400

GPU ( I have ATI 7750 and Nvidia 440 GT) would get another if possible.

I don't mind investing in additional hardware or software if its possible.

Or even if xbmc can assign itself an output on the gpu and run minimised in sys tray.

Thanks
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
There was a thread where people had varying amount of success running XBMC under ESXi using the pass-through to drive a dedicated video card.

IIRC, there were people who got it to work - sort -of. It was highly dependent on the video cards used. I don't recall anyone making it work well enough for "production" use.

The general consensus was that you'd be better off using a raspberry pi for XBMC instead of buying an extra video card.
Why virtualise?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
To expand on nickr's comment, why visualize? Your TV with the HDMI cable becomes a second monitor you can move XMBC to!
Hi,

I already have extended desktop with two monitors but just wanted it at start up with a dedicated hdmi port so I do t have to drag it each time, I thought virtualised setup would give me that.

Thanks
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
If you are happy to invest in extra hardware I would forget virtualisation and simply buy a NUC or something similar. Install openelec and never bother with it again. Don't interrupt your TV viewing when rebooting your desktop. etc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-30, 08:34)nickr Wrote: If you are happy to invest in extra hardware I would forget virtualisation and simply buy a NUC or something similar. Install openelec and never bother with it again. Don't interrupt your TV viewing when rebooting your desktop. etc.

Hi,

That was my thoughts too, just invest in nuc with passive cooling and I want to install xbmc Ubuntu so I can do add ons.

Thanks
openelec does addons too :-)
(2014-08-30, 08:28)a5ian300zx Wrote: Hi,

I already have extended desktop with two monitors but just wanted it at start up with a dedicated hdmi port so I do t have to drag it each time, I thought virtualised setup would give me that.

Thanks

If thats the only problem you could probably solve it via some scripting.. which OS are you running?
I'm running Windows 7 ultimate at the moment.

What kind of script would I have to take the focus away from xbmc and assign one of the gpu outputs either onboard Intel or gpu hdmi output.

Thanks

(2014-08-30, 10:46)nickr Wrote: openelec does addons too :-)

For the nuc I will as thinking xbmc Linux for any additional add ons.

Thanks for all your replies.
Have a look at auto hot key, its great for automating windows.
I used that in my last windows 7 xbmc v 11 build when I did it, there also one called auto IT thanks for the feedback

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this possible to do? Virtualised xbmc?0