Problem w/compressed H264 MKVs w/PCM mono or 2.0
I Handbrake all my movies to save space on my server but to keep the HD audio I mux back in the PCM and TrueHD tracks that Handbrake does not support. These compressed files play fine through the XBMC's player with the exception of movies and concerts with PCM mono or PCM 2.0 tracks. On those the video stutters unless I switch over to a different audio track. (PCM 5.1 plays fine as do all DTS-HD and TrueHD tracks)

Is there some setting in XBMC I could possibly change to correctly this? The same files play without stuttering with MPC-HC and VLC so I could just launch one of those as an external player for these files only however I would prefer to stick w/XBMC's native player for everything since it's more remote-friendly for FF, RW, chapter forwarding and back, etc. Thanks.
Unless something has gone wrong in an update to the audio code this should be possible, could you enable debug logging (see log_file (wiki) for instructions) then play both a mono file and a stereo file, also upload screenshot/s of your audio settings to somewhere like imgur.
(2014-08-29, 20:59)jjd-uk Wrote: Unless something has gone wrong in an update to the audio code this should be possible, could you enable debug logging (see log_file (wiki) for instructions) then play both a mono file and a stereo file, also upload screenshot/s of your audio settings to somewhere like imgur.

Hi. Thanks for your help. Here's the log -- http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=284475

And here's the imgur of my audio settings + OSD audio settings during playback (2nd image) -- http://imgur.com/8YEHgpu,ta1W9vj

This is during playback of a movie w/a PCM mono track (3 Women). If you need I'll do the same for a movie w/PCM 2.0 also but I'm pretty sure it will show exactly the same thing. Thanks!
Did you make these mkv files yourself? if so how?
I rip my blurays with MakeMKV then in order to save space on my server I compress the files with Handbrake at CQ 21 and if the movie has a PCM or TrueHD audio track I Handbrake the video portion only and use MKVmerge to mux all original audio tracks from the full rip into the compressed MKV.

This method has worked just fine with all TrueHD tracks and w/all other PCM tracks (3.0, 5.1 and 7.1). It's only PCM mono and stereo that create this issue. Which I could just re-rip the movies and keep the full rips saved to my server instead of the Handbrake versions, since I'm probably only saving myself about 1 TB of space. It's just the bother of getting the disks back from my parents where I store them and re-ripping them all again make me more inclined to just keep VLC as the default player for these compressed MKVs instead, since VLC doesn't have a problem w/them.

BTW, I've discovered that MPC-HC is a little glitchy with these files too. It doesn't stutter nearly as much as XBMC but there is occasional tearing, etc. even though MadVR doesn't show any dropped frames. So apparently it's not just an XBMC issue, if that helps to know.
Anyone?
Nevermind. Installed MPC-BE and it plays these files fine (w/HDMI passthru, unlike VLC) so I set up the playercorefactory to launch it as the default player for these and will just leave it alone now. Thanks anyway.
Apologies somehow missed your response.

This has been seen before and the issue pointed towards MakeMKV, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1577348

We seem to be less tolerant than some other software to whatever MakeMKV does to these type of files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem w/compressed H264 MKVs w/PCM mono or 2.00