Safe Mode
also, why dont' nest all xbmc files in a single default dir?
i.e.

e:\apps\xbmc
-- default.xbe
-- files
-- language
-- script
-- media

... and so on

in this way it can be much cleaner and in someway safer to put everything in c: :
default.xbe
and the "files" dir with everything in it.
hi all,

could you please select an other ip since 192.168.0.1 is the ip of my router.

thanks
(fredofrombelgium @ mar. 15 2004,21:16 Wrote:could you please select an other ip since 192.168.0.1 is the ip of my router.
mine too, maybe  192.168.0.30 / 255.255.255.0 be better as default? or maybe dhcp would be best? or configurable in "safe mode"?, most home/small-office routers have ip 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 so otherwise we can't satisfy all as those are on different subnets Sad
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
safe mode is a great idea, how many times have i had to use an evox disc!!

my thoughts on ip assignment:

i think safe mode should try dhcp first (if this is possible)

then if that fails the ip address should be set to a 192.168.x.x (fixed to what ever frodo decides Image ) with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

this way your computer can have any 192.168.x.x address and as long as your local subnet is 255.255.0.0 then you can get to another 192.168.x.x address.

this would mean people would have to change their ip around less.
i 100% agree with mental block, but also discarding the option "dhcp" can be fine, keeping the code smaller and cleaner. after all, it's just a rescue mode, isn't it?
(mental block @ mar. 16 2004,11:24 Wrote:then if that fails the ip address should be set to a 192.168.x.x (fixed to what ever frodo decides Image ) with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

this way your computer can have any 192.168.x.x address and as long as your local subnet is 255.255.0.0 then you can get to another 192.168.x.x address.

this would mean people would have to change their ip around less.
depends on what you mean by "less"(?  Huh), all home/small-office routers i know of have 255.255.255.0 as default subnet mask

edit: in any case the current ip address and subnet mask could hopefully be displayed on the screen along with the error message/log

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
yep but i use 192.168.1.* family address, as an example.
could maybe make it so it boots up as 192.168.0.x by default and you can press a button to switch to 192.168.1.x

Exclamation 
(butcher @ mar. 16 2004,13:44 Wrote:could maybe make it so it boots up as 192.168.0.x by default and you can press a button to switch to 192.168.1.x
k, that would be a smart solution, first try dhcp, if no dhcp server found within x seconds use 192.168.0.20, then press * button to use 192.168.1.20
Quote:k, that would be a smart solution, first try dhcp, if no dhcp server found within x seconds use 192.168.0.20

great idea. unrelated xbox/xbmc i set up a number of webcam computers in remote locations around the us, and this is exactly what i do if invalid network settings are specified. it works great. plus, even if you don't us a 192 block in your home network, anyone can always re-configure their network settings in the case that they need to 'save' the xbox.
--jaga
--jaga
i'd guess most home networks use 192.168.x.x as the only other safe subnet to use is 10.x.x.x and most people don't need that many ips. :p

well i use 192.168.55.x  Image

it is very easy to set your ip to use a subnet of 255.255.0.0 and it not effect your network.  otherwise i would have to change my ip and then change it back.  not a big deal, but it would be so easy to set xbmc to use 255.255.0.0 and therefore please everybody, without any draw backs.  Smile
sorry to drag this up again  Image

i see this has now been added to the cvs which is great, but i also see the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0.

any chance you could change this to 255.255.0.0.  or at least give me a reason why not.  would mean i wouldn't have to change my computer ip to ftp to it.

brilliant feature though  Image
(mental block @ april 29 2004,13:05 Wrote:any chance you could change this to 255.255.0.0.  or at least give me a reason why not.  would mean i wouldn't have to change my computer ip to ftp to it.
there was/is a thread that have a full discission about that which explains why, only i can't seem to find that thread right now Sad
run dhcp and you can do what you like with your ip, dhcp is checked before it tries a static ip.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Safe Mode0