best low cost system
Hai guys and girls.
I'm looking for a cheap solution for an xbmc machine that will be used in my living room.
I need somthing that can output full HD over hdmi, and can connect to an SSD as big as 2TB.
I't will be used only for local Video (Up to ripped blue-ray disks, no need for 3D for now)/ Audio (MP3,WAV,Flac....) / Picture (Up to 36 MPixel) / Youtube.
It will require a remote access over ETHERNET.
Any good suggestions?
The budget is about 50 USD.
1. get more money
2. look for an old laptop with HDMI
IMAX@Home on the room sized screen since 1989
Raspberry Pi
What about an NUC would that be better than a pi?
Very.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-08-30, 19:18)RisingNight Wrote: The budget is about 50 USD.

Raspberry Pi
LOL reading the OP I with the request I did not expect 50USD budget. The only solution is the RPi, and its a good little player so go ahead. but consider doubling your budget. the Pi can be slow for certain tasks that you may use daily
What would the pi be slow at? Does it perform better than a atv?
General UI on heavy skins, browsing large libraries, performing library updates.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
In AV terms the Pi is a much higher quality performer than an ATV2.

You get full 1080p H264 (and MPEG2/VC-1 with the low-cost additional licences) rather than the 720p that the ATV2 is limited to. The Pi de-interlaces SD and HD content pretty acceptably as well (don't think the ATV2 does)

IME the ATV2 is quite sluggish as well, if anything slower than an over clocked Pi.
You might also want to check out Solidrun's hummingboard. The base model, the i1. Has a 1ghz cpu instead of 700mhz, and Android support. It runs off the same Freescale architecture as the cubox-i's. There are Openelec, Xbian, Geexbox, and Android builds for it. Don't know how well they work though, all fairly new. But at that price point there isn't too many options.
thanks guys.
thought about the RPI. will try it.
Not that I am recommending this, but one idea is to pay someone $50 to steal one for you. I think that's about what $50 will buy you that's decent.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best low cost system0