Lite version for ATV2
I have installed Gotham 13.2 on my ATV2 (4.3.3) The crashing is off the chain. Every single day it crashes when I open it. It crashes changing videos. It crashes browsing a list. It crashes retrieving subtitles. There isn't anything that doesn't make it crash! It is obviously instability which I'm willing to attribute to the low resources of a nearly-obsolete unit. That said, I'd replace it if I could but I'm broke! What if we had a version that didn't include the code for features that I'm not using anyway such as live TV and PVR support?
It's more likely there is a memory leak or something rather than it being a bloat issue. Check out the iOS sub-forum for a lot of discussion on the issue.
(2014-08-31, 19:58)CrazedLeper Wrote: I have installed Gotham 13.2 on my ATV2 (4.3.3) The crashing is off the chain. Every single day it crashes when I open it. It crashes changing videos. It crashes browsing a list. It crashes retrieving subtitles. There isn't anything that doesn't make it crash! It is obviously instability which I'm willing to attribute to the low resources of a nearly-obsolete unit. That said, I'd replace it if I could but I'm broke! What if we had a version that didn't include the code for features that I'm not using anyway such as live TV and PVR support?

you can tell it for a good price and get a NUC
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2014-09-01, 02:09)Ned Scott Wrote: It's more likely there is a memory leak or something rather than it being a bloat issue. Check out the iOS sub-forum for a lot of discussion on the issue.

A memory leak? Is this a hardware, OS or software issue? Is there something I can do to fix it?

(2014-09-01, 05:04)bry- Wrote:
(2014-08-31, 19:58)CrazedLeper Wrote: I have installed Gotham 13.2 on my ATV2 (4.3.3) The crashing is off the chain. Every single day it crashes when I open it. It crashes changing videos. It crashes browsing a list. It crashes retrieving subtitles. There isn't anything that doesn't make it crash! It is obviously instability which I'm willing to attribute to the low resources of a nearly-obsolete unit. That said, I'd replace it if I could but I'm broke! What if we had a version that didn't include the code for features that I'm not using anyway such as live TV and PVR support?

you can tell it for a good price and get a NUC

Wow! I had no idea it could be worth so much! What is an NUC?
Also you should check to not have installed any more 3rd party apps. Each app takes RAM on the atv2 and will influence XBMC (even if the other app is not running - all apps are plugins - all of them are loaded to RAM permanently) (i had XBMC in parallel installed to Kodi during development and It was nearly unusable because of another 50MB RAM lost just because i had it installed).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-09-01, 12:58)Memphiz Wrote: Also you should check to not have installed any more 3rd party apps. Each app takes RAM on the atv2 and will influence XBMC (even if the other app is not running - all apps are plugins - all of them are loaded to RAM permanently) (i had XBMC in parallel installed to Kodi during development and It was nearly unusable because of another 50MB RAM lost just because i had it installed).

So much potentially useful information was unexpected. Thank you for that. I have installed Plex which I think I can do without if it means a more stable XBMC. Would the RAM loss apply to non-app data such as backups, skins, backgrounds, etc.?
not sure about that tbh - normally only the frappliance binary (like the "exe" file on windows) should be loaded all the time...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I ran it 18 months ago on an ATV2, sell the thing to some other unsuspecting gumby, the thing has no oomph, it's useless.
I bet one of those dodgy quad core ebay "android media players" for $99 would thrash the ATV2.

Ditch it, it's just not fast enough for a good ui experience if you've got a large library.
(2014-09-03, 12:54)AbRASiON Wrote: I ran it 18 months ago on an ATV2, sell the thing to some other unsuspecting gumby, the thing has no oomph, it's useless.
I bet one of those dodgy quad core ebay "android media players" for $99 would thrash the ATV2.

Ditch it, it's just not fast enough for a good ui experience if you've got a large library.

That's a good idea to which I am open but I like Kodi/XBMC and I am uncertain what else to use that it runs on. I also have Plex on it. What device would run both apps?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lite version for ATV20