What happens when set Use limited color range to on or off?
As I know, the TV&Moive video color range is 16-235.
So, if I turn off the "Use limited color range", that means the XBMC video decoder will convert the original video color from 16-235 to 1-255 before output? And if turn on the "Use limited color range", the XBMC video decoder will do nothing on color range and output directly?

Is my above concept right? If not, then what is the difference of the XBMC video decoder operation on color between the "Use limited color range" on and off?
AFAIK if turned on,Kodi will convert the output to the limited range (also/especially the GUI), if not, nothing changes. So if turned off, there is no conversion and source material is used
If turned on, why need to convert the video output to the limited range? Just the source video of TV&Film is limited range originally.

(2014-09-01, 14:03)da-anda Wrote: AFAIK if turned on,Kodi will convert the output to the limited range (also/especially the GUI), if not, nothing changes. So if turned off, there is no conversion and source material is used

If turned on, why need to convert the video output to the limited range? Just as the source video of TV&Film is limited range originally.
this does not belong in development section. moved
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I would always turn it off (and rigorously so: even in your OS). I had a huge problem with it, initially, with my Intel HD 4600 Graphics drivers (as I didn't know they have it enabled by default): on limited range I could *never* even get to see a marked black 'X' (on an even darker background) using my video calibration disc, no matter how high I cranked up the brightness: the info was simply gone.

I know some ppl turn it on, cuz otherwise their movie looks 'washed out' to them. But disabling limited range is actually a good thing (instead of just being entirely black, it's more like fifty shades of grey you're getting now). So, I'd say, always turn 'limited range' off, and then simply adjust brightness/contrast accordingly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What happens when set Use limited color range to on or off?0