FireTV Won't Play Some Files?
My Fire TV refuses to play some files.....90 percent of files work. I have found 2 files so far that when I press play, nothing happens.

Both are 4 + GB MKV files.....I have other MKV files that are of the same or more size that DO play. Can anyone explain?
(2014-09-02, 04:53)druiz Wrote: Can anyone explain?

Not with the level of information you've provided. Some work, some don't work, who knows why. The file container doesn't matter, and the file size shouldn't matter.

Start by including a debug log (wiki).
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=284313

Here is the debug log after looking through it seems like It cant access the file over SMB...which is weird since all other files are accessable ( look right after and you will see sucessful play for "Hot Fuz")

I navigated to the folder over the smb via laptop, and the folder is empty! Even though the file is in there on the HTPC. Its in a folder that is shared, any most everything else works fine....I wonder why this is happening?
Nothing jumps out at me in the log (thought I might be missing something obvious), but from what you describe that almost sounds like a file permissions issue. If some clients can see the file but others cannot, then perhaps they somehow had different individual file permissions applied. I'm not really sure, though. Maybe someone else will have some more insight.
(2014-09-02, 09:07)Ned Scott Wrote: Nothing jumps out at me in the log (thought I might be missing something obvious), but from what you describe that almost sounds like a file permissions issue. If some clients can see the file but others cannot, then perhaps they somehow had different individual file permissions applied. I'm not really sure, though. Maybe someone else will have some more insight.

The only permission is at the highest level, share to "everyone" The entire movies folder ( and all of it's subfolders are visable) and all of the subfolders files ( the movies) are visable....its this 1 movie file that is dissapeared, even it's folder I can see, its just empy.

My system automatically drops new movies into my movies folder. I have the entire folder shared via windows 7 smb to " everyone".
The structure is E:\Movies\MovieTitle\files.....for 99 percent of my movie folders, I can see all files. Except for THIS movie, when that wont play, when I go to it via laptop, the folder is empty! meaning NO shared machines can see this ONE SINGLE file...even though all the rest are fine.

Log Break Down:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=284313
Line 998-1001 - Cant Find File
Line 1047 ~1123 - Successfully finds file over same smb.
(2014-09-02, 09:07)Ned Scott Wrote: Nothing jumps out at me in the log (thought I might be missing something obvious), but from what you describe that almost sounds like a file permissions issue. If some clients can see the file but others cannot, then perhaps they somehow had different individual file permissions applied. I'm not really sure, though. Maybe someone else will have some more insight.

Ned:

You were right, it was a permission issue. My Question is now, how do I fix it from happening again?

My Movies are Laid Out As Such :

Movies>MovieTitle>Movie File

I have my main Movies Folder shared to everyone via smb with no password....I can see 100 percent of all movie title folders on the network and I can see 99.9 percent of all movie file's on the network....it seems to be affecting mainly newly added movie files...the INDIVIDUAL file has the wrong permissions. Is there anyway to fix that?
Not sure. I'm not very familiar with how Windows sets file permissions, but I have had the same thing happen to me on Mac OS X with SMB file sharing. I don't recall how I fixed it there, as I have long since moved to a small NAS device for my files. Something with the creation of new files being set wrong by the download application I was using, I think.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FireTV Won't Play Some Files?0