System boots to Linux the XBMC locks up
Hi, I was listening to some music streamed from XBMC wirelessly to my phone using Bubble UPNP. I paused play and left it at that.

Later I went to watch a video. The screen was blank. I rebooted. Grub starts as usual proceeding to the XBMC splash screen.

Then this.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...2e6015d32b

Linux is running as I can access shared drives on the network. Rebooting always ends in this situation.

Any ideas most appreciated.
Debug Log and no NSA links, please :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch Judging by the screenshots, system never gets as far as starting XBMC so debug log might be tricky Wink

@roylefamily, can you get to a login prompt by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 (or f2, f3 etc) ?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I have no idea what distro that is ( Debian? Something 3rd Party?). No HW info. The screens show no error just a booting Linux.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
The machine is a HP ProLiant Micro Server. The distro is XBMCbuntu, and was current about the middle of last year. It was definitely from from here.

Boot proceeds and the XBMC splash screen is shown then it does back to screen text and stops at the screen shown in the images. It does not proceed beyond that point. In a normal boot it goes from the splash screen to running XBMC.

However Linux is running as the shared drives are visible on the network.

I can get to the prompt from the selection menu in Grub. I am root at the Desktop.

"no NSA links, please :-)"

I am sorry if I should not have posted the images on FB. Is that what an NSA link is?

XBMC had been complaining of being out of date. A quick fix may be to roll over it with the new version. Not sure how to do that from this situation.

Is the XBMC splash screen actually the XBMCbuntu splash so my assumption that XBMC starts is wrong?
The xbmcbuntu splash means nothing.

If there was some corruption that would explain your issue or some upgrade went and broke something, hard to know.

Try to backup the userdata (wiki) and reinstall new xbmcbuntu v13. If your xbmcbuntu is older than v13 you wont get newer xbmc packages for that anymore.
Ok, I can get to the prompt from cntrl alt F1.

I can get around in console style. I can locate userdata. Now if I plug a usb stick in to copy userdata where will the usb stick appear?

Or as an alternative where is the default Music folder. If I copy it in there it can be retrieved as the Music folder as it is visible on the network.

I just used the Music folder provided in the default XBMCBuntu installation.

It's ok. Found it. When I did a dir in home/steven there where so many crash logs I needed to look 1 page at a time to notice Music up the top.Looks like I should be fine.
If the usb was automounted it probably show up in /media/yourusb or you can mount it manually, tbh you better google those as its common knowledge shared all over the interwebs.
Ok, XBMCBuntu boot USB was useless as it would not let me copy the userdata folder. It regarded itself as not having permission. I made a UBUNTU live usb stick. It had the same problem. Strangely the UBUNTU stick saw the windows network and let me copy userdata to another pc.

Now the issue is, if I reinstall XBMCBuntu from usb will it leave my media folders intact or delete everything? Remember I can't get xbmc started to just do an update.

The box has the media folders and xbmcbuntu on the one hard drive
If you do a straight install it will delete everything. Its possible though to keep everything in /home by running the installer and choosing the 'something else' option. You must use exactly the same username and password as before. See here -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation
I see in the link this refers to the ubuntu install. Is this option available in the XBMCBuntu install.
AFAIK, it's the same installer, just modded to the teams needs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
System boots to Linux the XBMC locks up0