Linux XBMCbuntu boots to a black screen
I know what the FAQ says about posting,but, since at the end of boot all I get is a blank black screen, there is little to show or control. system is an old HP Pavillion, AMD 3400+ gig and a half of ram nvidia GF FX5500, plugged into a 40" Samsung via hdmi. its a multiboot with an uncooperative windoze xp, and mint 17 XFCE, so I can search for files from there but thats about it, Oh, one of the few resposes to searches was about editing the xorg.conf to include the opt 120 x 120 fix, tried that. no diference, well, still a black screen, no cursor, just black, initially I thought the TV had switched off. The DVD was produced from a download I did from the xbmc site a couple of weeks ago, it did what I have just described, thought there was a corruption, downloaded and checked the checksum, verified the disk reinstalled, same result.
any ideas?
I have been using xbmc variations for a while, two of the 4xbox versions, a version on a flash drive and verisions on android and one on the tiny little notebook I am currently typing on.
Try my version maybe its help
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=202773
no, that GFX card is very old and is not supported by the current nvidia drivers anymore. You need the legacy driver.

try switching to the console and installing nvidia-173
(2014-09-03, 20:46)zabalkz Wrote: Try my version maybe its help
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=202773

(2014-09-03, 21:32)wsnipex Wrote: no, that GFX card is very old and is not supported by the current nvidia drivers anymore. You need the legacy driver.

try switching to the console and installing nvidia-173

wsnipex i did try that from console, but it pointed out that the 173 drivers are already in, the installer must have recognised the card. only moderately legacy Smile

zabalkz, as wsnipex mention it is a legacy card, but I may try purging and then doing the legacy 173 instaed of 331. cant actually go the usb route as the bios will not boot from there.

strange thing is I have a 10" notebook that is a similar age and other desktops that are older and they are more cooperative. Some companies have weird ideas, unless its to force people into replacing hardware, wonder why that would be :/
You simply have the wrong drivers installed, 331 will not support this card, also xbmc/kodi Suggest a 6 series as minimum and or a 8 series or newer. But your card still supports gl2.0 which is minimum for xbmc/kodi, install correct drivers then. But dont expect any video hardware acceleration or a fast anything on there.

At some stage in the hardware life you will have to either accept technology cant be held back by old outdated hardware even though it may still work or just refuse to use newer software that requires newer tech. You know these companies "they" conspire and "they" out to get your money!

* un1versal hears greedy CEO go muwahahaha Big Grin
(2014-09-04, 13:51)uNiversal Wrote: You simply have the wrong drivers installed, 331 will not support this card, also xbmc/kodi Suggest a 6 series as minimum and or a 8 series or newer. But your card still supports gl2.0 which is minimum for xbmc/kodi, install correct drivers then. But dont expect any video hardware acceleration or a fast anything on there.

At some stage in the hardware life you will have to either accept technology cant be held back by old outdated hardware even though it may still work or just refuse to use newer software that requires newer tech. You know these companies "they" conspire and "they" out to get your money!

* uNiversal hears greedy CEO go muwahahaha Big Grin

Thanks for that uNiversal, tho it reports as having the nvidia-173 drivers, the correct drivers. They are also reported as installed on the mint which is one of the multiboots on here
just make sure no other, newer drivers are installed. (Which they are by default). Its possible that the wrong one gets loaded in that case
(2014-09-04, 21:19)wsnipex Wrote: just make sure no other, newer drivers are installed. (Which they are by default). Its possible that the wrong one gets loaded in that case

thanks will keep an eye out
(2014-09-04, 23:15)Fudgy Wrote:
(2014-09-04, 21:19)wsnipex Wrote: just make sure no other, newer drivers are installed. (Which they are by default). Its possible that the wrong one gets loaded in that case

thanks will keep an eye out

Did you fix your problem ?
nope, still ongoing. tried Zabalkz suggestion, replacing the driver, still nothing. Tho I think that it's just not connecting to it, Purged the others. Currently considering digging out an older version to see if that handles it better, tho another system I have I am trrying to use an even older driver on. The trick will be to work out why the drivers arn't being used and how to encourage them in the needed direction

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu boots to a black screen0