Older Mac hardware such as 2010 mini.
There has been so much chatter on hardware decoding old vs new hardware. I have version 16 on my 2010 Mac mini and El Capitan which seems to be the last version able to hardware decode properly without the processor working overtime. What is the score on version 17+ and how does Mac OS play into This?
(2017-12-18, 03:51)Audiomixer Wrote: on my 2010 Mac mini
Technology moves on, there is better hardware out there now. Even Apple finally has a 4K device these days Smile
Hardware decoding today means video decoding via the GPU (the graphics card) and not the CPU (aka processor).
Kodi 17+ works just fine with the new video acceleration methods, provided the graphics hardware is indeed capable of properly speeding up the unraveling if the video frames.
@Klojum i think you ignore the osx issues we have in certain newer hardware / osx combinations with Kodi.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
You might want to switch to Windows 10 on these:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2674264
(2017-12-18, 09:46)Soli Wrote: You might want to switch to Windows 10 on these:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2674264

Thanks for that suggestion, but I prefer to stay away from windows. Good post BTW. The mini belongs to my daughter and I want to keep it macOS for her. If I had to dump the mini, I would go Nvidia Shield with Kodi 17.6 which is what I mostly run. Works quite well with my NAS. I also have a 2015 mbpro with the newer hardware that I use on occasion. Also no problem.
I was hoping that perhaps Kodi might have a fix for older hardware as plex had done with plex media player where one can choose hardware decoding old or new hardware. I know, different animal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Older Mac hardware such as 2010 mini.0