[SOLVED]Setting up music problem
Windows 7 Pro
XBMC 13.2 Gotham
XBMC Hub

Hi All

First of all I don't know if this is the right section for this to be posted but if not I would appreciate a mod moving this to a section where I will have the best chance of getting an answer - cheers.

Now.......

Hoping that someone may be able to help me understand how to set up my music library the way that I want.

At the moment I am using Mp3tag to organise my music but am facing some problems.

I have followed the instructions on the following wiki page:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...he_library

...and in particular the section which mentions album art and thumbnails for storing albums/ artists in a seperate sub folder as can be seen in the following image:

Therefore, at present I have a Music directory inside of which each album is stored within it's own directory (the songs from the album AND cover art in .jpg format simply named - folder)

As also advised in the wiki, when scanning the music into the library I have turned off Library view, however as it stands I am witnessing the following after the scan:

Main menu view with 2 instances of the same album:

Library view also with 2 instances of the same album:

File view with only one instance of the album in mention:

I am not understanding why I am getting a duplicate of the album in mention on the home screen and library views?

I have checked and checked again that there are no disparities in file names and artist names within Mp3tag, and for the album in mention here I have even applied the album cover art to each song using MP3tag but I can't seem to find anything that will stop the annoying issue of the duplicates in the above mentioned views.

Following is an image from Mp3tag but once again, I have checked and rechecked the information and honestly can't see a problem with it:

At this stage I should mention that I would also much prefer to have nested directories as follows:

If it is possible to set up as per my preferred folder structure and if you have that same setup, could you PLEASE explain the full details of how you have achieved this (file structure/ image naming/ info in tags/ sample .nfo file if required for this scenario).

Where am I going wrong here guys and/ or gals?

Help with this would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanking you.
Sorry guys

Have solved the problem - at least with seperate folders (not nested - that's the next test)

This is obviously an issue with Metadata in the tags.

Have just used Musicbrainz Picard following the quick start guide here:

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Tag_Files_With_Picard

Brilliant - problem solved!!

Ain't it always the way that after spending countless hours trying to find a solution and then writing out a detailed post that you go off and find a solution straight away! Angry

My apologies to anyone who may have spent time on this for me.
MP3tag displays %ARTIST% and %ALBUMARTIST% by default. There's no agreement on the name of the tag for the Album Artist on FLAC files. Some say it should be %ALBUM ARTIST% others %ALBUMARTIST%. So you really also need to view %ALBUM ARTIST% in MP3tag as well because a lot of FLAC files use it.

In this specific case it seems that at least one of the artist related tags for the album in question had "As I Lay Dying " (with an extra space on the end) while the others tags "As I Lay Dying".
You may well be right there - I believe in the first instance I changed some of the details you have mentioned via right clicking on each (in this case) .mp3 and selecting Properties from within Windows.

At the time I was sticking to a routine of editing the first .mp3 file in the list and then copying and pasting that info into the properties of the following mp3 files.

So if I left a trailing space in the first file and copied to the rest it makes sense I guess.

Something to look out for in future if I edit file properties in this way.

As I said previously I am now using MusicBrainz with great success and my music library is looking fantastic. I have only needed to figure out how to edit album and artist .nfo files to my liking and apply them and a poster.jpg to any files which still weren't getting picked up by MusicBrainz and/ or were lacking any information - I now have this sorted and have stowed away some template music .nfo files to make it a bit easier.

Cheers @Stereodude

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED]Setting up music problem0