Budget HTPC Build for Under $250
Thumbs Up 
Hey everyone,

I've compiled a list of components for those seeking help building a sub $250 USD HTPC build. Let me know if you have any feedback.

Budget HTPC Build for Under $250 – Build 2

Thanks! Big Grin
What is broadcast the net?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-09-04, 20:40)jammyb Wrote: What is broadcast the net?

Hey, It's a TV centric torrent tracker

http://www.torrent-invites.com/showthread.php?t=197147
(2014-09-04, 17:28)edge06 Wrote: Hey everyone,

I've compiled a list of components for those seeking help building a sub $250 USD HTPC build. Let me know if you have any feedback.

Budget HTPC Build for Under $250 – Build 2

Thanks! Big Grin

Let me know if anyone has any questions on the build!
Nice write up. Why not just go with something like chromebox though over building one out yourself?
You don't have a PicoPSU listed, is this separate?
(2014-09-10, 19:06)sub0ptimal Wrote: You don't have a PicoPSU listed, is this separate?

The motherboard has a DC jack on it, and I listed a power supply (its a laptop adapter).
Nice setup, would change the ssd for something more reliable with twice the storage and add a w8 license although that would push it right above the 250$ price tag. The cpu actually handles light gaming like the new Lego games. Also works great with steam remote play.
Ok. Looks like you need a motherboard that can do the voltage regulation. Otherwise you'd be unable to power an ATX brick with just a DC transformer.
(2014-09-11, 02:18)sub0ptimal Wrote: Ok. Looks like you need a motherboard that can do the voltage regulation. Otherwise you'd be unable to power an ATX brick with just a DC transformer.

Did you read the article or even look at the parts mentioned?

From Asus:
Quote:This motherboard is available with support for either ATX or DC-In power supplies. DC-In jack can wisely replace a traditional power supply place, and thus easily PClizes any multimedia entertainments! Plus a 24-pin ATX power connector that meets any power supply and fits your PC requirement!

DC Adapter Saves More Energy
In addition to ATX power supply unit, this motherboard can also be powered by a DC adapter and able to reduce power consumption by a maximum of 42% when idle and 26% at full loading. In S5 Mode, it even saves up to 85%! Without traditional PSU, you can not only allocate the internal space of your chassis more wisely, but also save a lot of energy and be more friendly to our environments.

I listed a 19v DC power adapter. Thank you.
(2014-09-11, 01:08)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Nice setup, would change the ssd for something more reliable with twice the storage and add a w8 license although that would push it right above the 250$ price tag. The cpu actually handles light gaming like the new Lego games. Also works great with steam remote play.

Thats ultimately why I chose it. This little mobo + cpu combo is excellent as a htpc. I'm really looking forward to advancements in the 'APU' field.
Nice build. Thanks for sharing.
(2014-09-11, 17:30)ghart999 Wrote: Nice build. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Cool
Couple people have bought this setup and mentioned to me it's working great.
Quick question- how hard is the assembly of all these units, esp for someone who is noob and has never done this. Also, can someone verify that the openelec/ linux goes on the SSD and is simple to install? my soundbar only supports optical and planning to run PVR backend on my Synology NAS, this is why I want to go ahead with this setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget HTPC Build for Under $2501