Please, add native video mode output!
@maddib did you set lanczos fast for upscaling method?

I am also confused about interlaced output. some posts above we said this this never can work this way.
I'm just curious, is YADIF deinterlacing exclusive to OpenGL platforms? On Windows I only see "deinterlace", "deinterlace (half)" and "software blend".
deinterlace = yadif
(2014-09-10, 11:51)Memphiz Wrote: re-enabled interlaced output? Did i miss something? It sounded that we never supported this in some of FernetMentas posts no?

Well, I thought if it's available in one of your older branches, it may be possible to integrate it in regular releases. As it's obviously working well.
But sure, if it's not officially supported, it may be more difficult to implement it as an official feature. Or - you enable the interlaced output feature in expert mode only. May this be possible?
For sure, it's a feature many of us can benefit from.

Thanjs again
maddib
I only enabled the Selektion if interlaced resolutions in the windowing @FernetMenta - does it make Sense that this really leads to working Interlaced Output? *doubt*
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-09-10, 19:23)Memphiz Wrote: I only enabled the Selektion if interlaced resolutions in the windowing @FernetMenta - does it make Sense that this really leads to working Interlaced Output? *doubt*

I think it can work if no scaling is required and if source is either top or bottom field first (most likely tff). there are no options to change this. bottom line is that if you enable it, it will fail on > 50% of the scenarios and users will start to cry: bug: this does not work Smile

I doubt that any tv with those cheap video processing chips can beat sw deinterlacing (yadif). I also doubt that any tv 99.9% of the users here own has better upscaling than what we already provide on Linux.

Time is much better invested porting those features to OSX than doing any quick hacks which just bypass not implemented functions.
Well i guess linux allows to set interlaced screen modes in windowing then? At least this "quick hack" wouldn't be a hack then when i allow interlaced resolutions on osx too? Not sure what else needs to be ported and from where Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-09-11, 11:58)Memphiz Wrote: Well i guess linux allows to set interlaced screen modes in windowing then?

No, what do you think Smile I was saying that this won't work, only for some selected scenarios.
Hhmm... a bit confusing. What are we talking about exactly?
If I'm right, the special interleced build is able to switch to a pure 1080i video mode which is detected by my tv and ext. scaler. So, this doesn't look like a 'windowed interlaced' mode, does it? That's what I meant.
What I don't know is, if xbmc detects the available video modes configured e.g. by SwitchResX or if it 'hacks' a native 1080i mode by itself. As with my own configuration, 1080i is the only interlaced mode I configured with SwitchResX...

I don't see much sense in putting out interlaced video through 1080p, but without deinterlacing, or what...?

Thanks again
in the world of computer graphics 1080i is not really existent. your tv can only display progressive, so why do you expect a PC to output interlaced? as I already said, computer graphics is MUCH better than the cheap video chips you find in your tv set. may be that Apple and osx is still a little behind but they should catch up or die. Why do you give your money to a company that isn't capable of providing reasonable deinterlacing and upscaling facilities. for less than 200€ you get perfect hardware for running xbmc.
well that's my personal opinion ....
oh well...

- For sure, using a PC for usual PC tasks, interlaced output really isn't usefull, but... xbmc/mpc is NOT a standard application and certainly deals with displaying videos with their wide range of variations, including interlaced.

- Image processing - esp. implemented in current - tv/video consumer electronics are by far NOT inferior to MOST software solutions on a PC. The only software for realtime scaling and deinterlacing videos that is really outstanding in terms of pq is madVR, only available for Windows.

- Using a separate h/w scaler e.g. an iscaler 50pro I see that there's no pure software solution that could produce such pq.

- But... you have to compare pq with displays having 37" and above. Don't take a smaller PC monitor to judge scaling/deinterlacing quality. With xbmc we are in the living room ;-).

- Taking this personal opinion outputting interlaced video mode does make sense. And... I don't know current PCs running OSX, Windows or Linux that are NOT able to output interlace...

- What means 'Apple is little behind' here? If there's no native satisfactory video hardware solution for scaling/deinterlacing, then try to do it in pure software. BTW many such software only solutions are visibly better than such using h/w acceleration.

What do you think?
What I think and what I do know is that the picture quality I get from my XBMC box (running Linux) is much much better than my TV (42") can do. Most noticeable when playing some interlaced SD material. Computer graphics is powerful and cheap, you just need the right drivers which give you access to those resources. XBMC can only leverage those resources if the OS and drivers give us access. Unfortunately you have not seen yet the real potential of XBMC running on the right platform.
Sorry to bump here but i dont know how to achieve the same 1080i output on my pc with windows with nvidia 610m. So much time now i had dropped the pvr on xbmc since no matter what i do i cannot achieve the same PQ as my TV do in interlaced material. I own a LG 55 UB950V that does a great work after latest updates in SD and HD channels that are interlaced. Its not possible to go to linux for many reasons.
There's no substitute for experience
(2014-09-12, 08:04)bluechris Wrote: Sorry to bump here but i dont know how to achieve the same 1080i output on my pc with windows with nvidia 610m. So much time now i had dropped the pvr on xbmc since no matter what i do i cannot achieve the same PQ as my TV do in interlaced material. I own a LG 55 UB950V that does a great work after latest updates in SD and HD channels that are interlaced. Its not possible to go to linux for many reasons.

What version of XBMC did you try? After April 24th deinterlacing for NVidia should be ok. It takes into account one past and one future field which were mixed up before.

What deinterlacing method did you chose?
Im on latest beta, not nightly though. You know i dont see lines or anything its just that my tv or my vu+ receiver with a dvb-t usb stick does so better de-interlace than my pc with xbmc and thats i wanted to try the same as @maddib asked.
There's no substitute for experience

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please, add native video mode output!2