Android Why in the world do most Android boxes have WIFI speeds BELOW 100 mbps?
Lightbulb 
The year is 2014.

Fiber Optic Internet in the 1000 mbps range is a reality.

Yet so many Android boxes choose to limit their WIFI to speeds below 100 mpbs.

I just purchased a top-of-the-line and ridiculously expensive Minix X8-H because of its massive and ugly WIFI Antenna and "Dual-Band" support since my router is in a different room and Ethernet is not an option.

So imagine my supreme disappointment when I realized that Minix has actually made the conscious decision to limit the WIFI on their brand new and most expensive unit to just 72 mbps by using a Broadcom AP6330 chipset. My jaw hit the floor in utter disbelief and I lost some teeth in the process.

I don't want to reward cheap companies, so I'm going to return this joke.

Therefore, I need an Android Box that understands it's the year 2014 and can handle Wifi at speeds of 150 - 300 mbps so that those of us with Fiber Optic internet can actually take advantage of what we are already paying for.

Besides 2014-fast Wifi, I need a good-quality, solid Android unit that is a stand-alone box with SPDIF Optical Output, Quad-Core CPU, and at least 2 GB of RAM, preferably with at least 16 GB of internet storage (although 8 GB is acceptable).

Does such a box exist or are all these companies stuck in 2009?
Probably because it is not necessary for the common uses of such a box (movie streaming, games) ?
Hence the chinese companies rely on cheap, proven solutions.
However, upcoming RK3288 boxes seem to have a newer chipset (AP6335) with ac support.

http://liliputing.com/2014/08/tronsmart-...b-ram.html

As most Wifi antennas in these boxes are crap in terms of range and performance, did you thought about using a wired connection or PowerLan ?
(2014-09-05, 12:41)d1dd1 Wrote: Probably because it is not necessary for the common uses of such a box (movie streaming, games) ?
If it's not necessary, then why are the new boxes offering faster Wifi? The Minix X8-H is sold as a "4K" device yet has slow and old WIFI. It just doesn't make sense.

(2014-09-05, 12:41)d1dd1 Wrote: Hence the chinese companies rely on cheap, proven solutions.
This is the real answer, because they are cheap. The Minix X8-H is a very expensive device compared to the competition, and yet they decided to be cheap and install a chipset with Wifi from 2009.

(2014-09-05, 12:41)d1dd1 Wrote: However, upcoming RK3288 boxes seem to have a newer chipset (AP6335) with ac support.

http://liliputing.com/2014/08/tronsmart-...b-ram.html
Is it 100% confirmed that these upcoming boxes will have faster Wifi? Is Tronsmart a good and reliable brand that's worth waiting for? Do you know when it will be released?

(2014-09-05, 12:41)d1dd1 Wrote: As most Wifi antennas in these boxes are crap in terms of range and performance, did you thought about using a wired connection or PowerLan ?
What's frustrating is that I actually get a really good signal with the Minix X8-H, they just limited it to 72 mbps with their cheap chipset. A wired Ethernet connection is unfortunately not possible, and I've heard bad things about PowerLAN, particularly in old apartment buildings such as mine. I know of one case that was getting 1000 ms ping through a PowerLAN. What are your thoughts on PowerLAN?
dude when South Korea has the highest average broadband speed of "only" 23.6 Mbit/s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...ion_speeds

why would a company use a much higher cost component? to cater for the 0.0000000000001% that do?

what can you possibly need that is higher than 72 mbps. If you can afford that speed then get something that actually cost some doh. the Minix X8-H doesn't even cost that much. stop ranting and take it up with minix. only your second post and its all cheap this cheap that. I would like to see you run a big company and make the decisions.
this is you're been looking for and it call..... FireTV
I don't know where in the world you're located but here in the UK that Minix X8-H seems to cost around £105, I've just been researching getting a small, quiet low power box for a friend and admittedly this will only run XBMC/Kodi but for just under £9 more a Gigabyte Brix which will give superior performance can be put together.
It probably would be underpowered for most of the people on this forums tastes but I'm sure it will outperform any Android box available.
(2014-09-05, 13:09)NewBuyer Wrote:
(2014-09-05, 12:41)d1dd1 Wrote: As most Wifi antennas in these boxes are crap in terms of range and performance, did you thought about using a wired connection or PowerLan?
What's frustrating is that I actually get a really good signal with the Minix X8-H, they just limited it to 72 mbps with their cheap chipset. A wired Ethernet connection is unfortunately not possible, and I've heard bad things about PowerLAN, particularly in old apartment buildings such as mine. I know of one case that was getting 1000 ms ping through a PowerLAN.

Use a router or access point that has a client-bridge mode connected via ethernet. Something with 3x3 mimo antennas.
Expecting Wifi to stream 4K content is very unreasonable.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
People with Fiber Optic Internet << everyone else in the world.
I would never use WiFi for any video streaming, it's just too prone to errors and fluctuating signal strength in my view, so all my media devices are connected by GigE UTP and where that's not practical my devices are connected to HomePlugs (Powerline), so just about every device has guaranteed quality of service, the only time WiFi gets used is for a couple of music devices.
Do you have a dual band router, is dual band turned on. X8-H has a dual band receiver. Don't know how well it works. But, I just got A Fire TV, and it's dual band works really well. Can stream blu-ray quality and hdhomerun prime (with HomeRun TV app) just fine. Still going to run a wire, for testing purposes it works well.
What media are you streaming that is higher bitrate than your wifi ? Bluray maxes out at 48 Mbps.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-05, 23:25)nickr Wrote: What media are you streaming that is higher bitrate than your wifi ? Bluray maxes out at 48 Mbps.

Have you streamed Blu-ray rips successfully without any drops or skips over WiFi?

It would have to be 802.11n and definitely very good signal.

Generally just easier to use HomePlugs if you can't run ethernet cable.
I agree powerline is the way to go in preference to wifi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Do we mean 72mbps as in 'connection speed' or as in actual, practical data transfer capability?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why in the world do most Android boxes have WIFI speeds BELOW 100 mbps?1