Win Audio output keeps switching automatically etc
Hello,

I am running XBMC 13.2 and

For some reason when I configure it to DirectSound and even though I have enabled Dolby Digital & DTS pass-thru, the audio just comes out in PCM. When I switch the audio output to WASAPI the pass through works fine. I am fine leaving it in WASAPI, but the settings just don't seem to persist. A day or 2 later the audio output keeps switching over to DirectSound.

Any thoughts on what if anything I am doing wrong? Further, why am I not able to do to DD/DTS pass through in DirectSound? I have configured both the output & pass through device to be the same(either WASAPI or DirectSound).

Thanks,
T
Are you using HDMI for the audio output? as it can switch like this if you start XBMC before the connected device (AVR or TV) is switched on, always make sure to start XBMC after the device you're providing audio to is already on and ready.

Directsound passes through the Windows audio layer so there's probably something not right in the Windows config, anyway it's always best to use WASAPI for passthrough as audio is sent direct to the audio device.
That makes sense in light of what's going on. I always use XBMC with the audio outputing through the AVR. When my kids/wife watch stuff in Windows Media Center, the receiver is never used and the audio signal is sent through the hdmi port to the receiver and further to the TV(This HDMI port has MHL).
So when you come to watch something, do you start XBMC then switch AVR on? if so do it other way round and you should be ok.
You could try extracting the tv/avr's edid

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1783359
I am sorry, I am confused what would the tv/avr's edid give me once I extract it?

I do understand following the sequence where the AVR comes on first before the TV.

(2014-09-05, 15:49)teeedubb Wrote: You could try extracting the tv/avr's edid

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1783359
After installing the driver that moninfo creates windows will think the avr/tv is always on and connected even if hte avr is tunred on after the pc has booted.
(2014-09-05, 16:39)teeedubb Wrote: After installing the driver that moninfo creates windows will think the avr/tv is always on and connected even if hte avr is tunred on after the pc has booted.

This looks very interesting. Does it continue running or do you uninstall it once you have the edid info? Have you experienced any bugs or issues yet?

My biggest annoyance is that the avr passthrough is not always recognized and i'll get a "no signal" mssg, I'm assuming this wakes the avr's passthrough, yes?
You can uninstall moninfo but hang on to the monitor.inf that the moninfo creates. Only issue I have seen is that games, although not XBMC, loses sound output when I turn off the TV, but not when I power cycle the avr (note I haven't tested it thoroughly, it could be a specific game). But all in all it works a lot better than before extracting the edid - I would need to reset my GPU driver to get any sound in windows if I powered up my avr after windows had booted.
(2014-09-06, 22:42)teeedubb Wrote: You can uninstall moninfo but hang on to the monitor.inf that the moninfo creates. Only issue I have seen is that games, although not XBMC, loses sound output when I turn off the TV, but not when I power cycle the avr (note I haven't tested it thoroughly, it could be a specific game). But all in all it works a lot better than before extracting the edid - I would need to reset my GPU driver to get any sound in windows if I powered up my avr after windows had booted.

I have it loaded and so far so good, It a great tool, thanks for sharing. I also found a link for it on the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Mon...et_Manager looks like it's been there for a while, don't know how I missed it.

Finally, the passthrough on my avr is staying active and sending the pc signal to the tv Smile

Edit: Still working this morning Smile Haven't seen any glitches yet. This looks like a winner EDID override tool Smile

OP, I strongly recommend you give it a try.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio output keeps switching automatically etc0