Gotham 13.2 Prompt for pin during auto updates
FYI, https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5360 will only prompt for new add-on installs (once per addon). It will not prompt when installing updates and dependencies that are pulled in. I think it's a good trade-off to what we have now and how 13.1 handled it.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2014-09-11, 02:53)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm not a programmer, but I imagine it is like old plumbing. It might not be "hard" in concept to repair a busted pipe, but you have to find the leak, get into a tight area, and make sure you don't break anything else in the wall (or else you have more work to do). Sometimes when you get to the pipe you find out that more than one thing is broken, and it's a bigger job than you thought it would be Smile

So true. The entire profiles and lock code is not designed for what we're using it these days. Initial implementation was just to separate profiles. Doing it right would mean to re-factor it a lot. I am not interested! Wink

EDIT: Please correct me if I am wrong.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2014-09-11, 06:25)Ned Scott Wrote: I wouldn't trust the master lock feature to keep kids out. It's really easy to get around. XBMC stores your pin/password in plain text on the computer itself
Unless the kid is willing to sit down and try thousands of pin combinations, he/she won't figure it out. Some of my family members, who are adults, can't even figure it out. In regards to seeing the pin in plain text on the computer... explain to me how they are going to do that when I've changed the ftp & ssh password? Unless they figure out my password, they can't access my device. Sure they can do a full reset and remove the password, but that will also reset the box back to factory. Add the fact I'm using a Linux box. Not too many people know Linux.

(2014-09-11, 15:32)vdrfan Wrote: FYI, https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5360 will only prompt for new add-on installs (once per addon). It will not prompt when installing updates and dependencies that are pulled in. I think it's a good trade-off to what we have now and how 13.1 handled it.
I could be reading it wrong, but is this something you guys are working on for the next release? I actually like how 13.1 is working. I've downgraded to 13.1 until you guys find a solution. So far, no problems with the master pin during updates.

mkortstiege Wrote:Do not prompt for master pin during installing an add-on update or add-on dep. Master pin prompting will happen on new add-on installs only
I'm on board with that...
In case someone wants to test it.. here´s a Gotham 13.2 build with the prompt modification. http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/win3...ontest.exe

Please report back if this one works for you guys.
I see you tried to merge to master, but it failed. I don't run windows, but will certainly test when it makes it to openelec nightlys. Thanks.
(2014-09-12, 12:21)HiJacK Wrote:
(2014-09-11, 06:25)Ned Scott Wrote: I wouldn't trust the master lock feature to keep kids out. It's really easy to get around. XBMC stores your pin/password in plain text on the computer itself
Unless the kid is willing to sit down and try thousands of pin combinations, he/she won't figure it out. Some of my family members, who are adults, can't even figure it out. In regards to seeing the pin in plain text on the computer... explain to me how they are going to do that when I've changed the ftp & ssh password? Unless they figure out my password, they can't access my device. Sure they can do a full reset and remove the password, but that will also reset the box back to factory. Add the fact I'm using a Linux box. Not too many people know Linux.

As you point out, in your case you've taken additional steps. You have master lock + removed any open access to the file system. While it's still possible to bypass in theory, this likely is enough to prevent kids from bypassing the lock. (assuming the file manager (wiki) is also locked with the master lock).
(2014-09-12, 18:00)mkortstiege Wrote: In case someone wants to test it.. here´s a Gotham 13.2 build with the prompt modification. http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/win3...ontest.exe

Please report back if this one works for you guys.
I'd give it a try, but I'm on Linux. I appreciate the support though. Can someone using Windows test it out and report back so we can get on the right track?

(2014-09-12, 20:49)Ned Scott Wrote: (assuming the file manager (wiki) is also locked with the master lock).
I usually lock up programs & scripts windows, file manager, advanced settings, and add-on manager... so I've pretty much have all my parameters covered.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham 13.2 Prompt for pin during auto updates0