External Hard Drive not being recognized on B+
I just got my B+ and I've been trying nonstop to get it to recognize my hard drive. The LED is lit up so I know it's powered. It's a USB 3.0 1TB hard drive. I use a Mac, and I tried formatting it both Max OS X (Journaled) and MS-DOS (FAT). None of these worked.

I've also looked up threads on here saying to look in a folder called /mnt but I don't have one in my Root filesystem.

Any help would be really appreciated. It can't be a power issue because I can see it's running.

EDIT: I'm also a complete noob when it comes to this, so sorry in advance.
1) What OS is on your Pi - Raspbian? Raspbmc? OpenELEC? Xbian?
2) Paste the contents of your dmesg after attaching the drive - upload it to pastebin.com, then paste the link.
3) Have you tried formatting the drive with a native Linux file format, such as ext2 or ext4?
4) Try boosting the USB current on your B+
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
OpenELEC. Also, my knowledge of this stuff is super basic. I'm using Disk Utility to format and ext4 isn't an option, just Max OS Extened (Journaled) and MS-SOD (FAT) and ExFAT.
I know nothing about Macs, other than them being Unix-based so you should be able to connect to your Pi using a console/terminal and ssh (username: root, password: openelec).

Once connected, upload dmesg with the command "dmesg | pastebinit".

Maybe a Mac expert can advise on appropriate file system support. FAT is definitely best avoided unless you've got absolutely no other options.

You could just format the drive with ext4, then share the drive contents from the Pi to the Mac using SMB/CIFS. OpenELEC has Samba built-in and can share your drive with a small amount of configuration. Performance may not be great (limited by CPU and 100mbit network) but should work.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External Hard Drive not being recognized on B+0