Asus chromebox as htpc and server
Hello Everyone,

So I've been research all weekend and Im about to pull the trigger on a asus chromebox. I just have a few questions. I am planning on running stNdalone copy of openlec for xbmc

1. I have a couple of spare external harddrives at home, would i be able to plug them in and have another computers upload and download to them?

2.should I go standalone or dual boot if I intend to use this as a htpc and a server?
1 - Yes

2 - Standalone OpenELEC still lets you share folders across the network, but I am not sure how you would manage the server shares from OpenELEC, so a dual boot might not be a bad idea.

Matt Devo's install guide will take you through the process like a champion:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you see it being beneficial in adding a 4gb stick to the other remaining slot? So then i would 6gb of total ram?
No.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Even if I decide to go dual boot?
That needs more diskspace not more memory.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
You may see a bit of a benefit by adding a couple of GB to the box (internal, not USB stick) if you are in a dual boot setup. OpenELEC won't see a difference much if at all.
(2014-09-08, 17:36)smitbret Wrote: You may see a bit of a benefit by adding a couple of GB to the box (internal, not USB stick) if you are in a dual boot setup. OpenELEC won't see a difference much if at all.

As in disk space or more ram?

I think Im going to dual boot chromeOS +openelec
(2014-09-08, 17:49)sledgebrah Wrote:
(2014-09-08, 17:36)smitbret Wrote: You may see a bit of a benefit by adding a couple of GB to the box (internal, not USB stick) if you are in a dual boot setup. OpenELEC won't see a difference much if at all.

As in disk space or more ram?

I think Im going to dual boot chromeOS +openelec

RAM

OpenELEC only takes 100MB or so and ChromeOS isn't much bigger than that. The internall SSD is only 16GB but unless you plan on actually storing anything to it, there'd be no point in expanding outside of any of the HDDs that you are already attaching.
Great! Thanks again. Just picked up my chromebox and cant wait to set it up using the above link

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus chromebox as htpc and server0