Linux What would best option for gui be using minimal install?
Hi all.

Planning on using my old dell dimension as a dedicated media centre, I'm going to hide it in the chimney, start it with WOL and control it via phone.

I was thinking of using openelec which I've used on it before, and use on a raspberry pi at the moment.

However, I've decided I need more options so I'm planning to go minimal install route.
As well as XBMC I want to have running in background
  • dropbox... for syncing of photos and home videos
  • transmission or similar
  • firefox/chromium for occasional browsing

So I'm wondering which would be the most efficient?
I'm thinking lubuntu minimal install perhaps? or do I even need a gui?
Can the dropbox/transmission be run automatically in background without one?
And firefox/chromium be started from application launcher?

Any help much appreciated

One more thing...should I wait for kodi to be released before doing this? or just upgrade when is released.

Cheers
Rich
Fluxbox, openbox
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-09-09, 12:07)fritsch Wrote: Fluxbox, openbox

Thanks, trying openbox in virtual machine now

must admit sure they are great but getting a bit lost with unfamiliarity! lol.
Well after much messing about in virtual pc I've got it working in a fashion.
using openbox/transsmisson/dropbox/firefox/pcmanfm only

just having a issue where xbmc lags on autostart and doesn't seem to start unless sudo in terminal, no go without sudo.
got to be a rights issue but bored of it for now! will have a play again when get another minute.

also not got openbox autologin but looks like I'll have to install a login manager to get that working from what I've read.
Not done much today.

Figured out slim login manager with autologin, pretty quick.
You could just follow one of my sticky howtos in the linux forum section (radeon oss or vaapi) - all of them use a simple upstart script for login.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-09-10, 20:51)fritsch Wrote: You could just follow one of my sticky howtos in the linux forum section (radeon oss or vaapi) - all of them use a simple upstart script for login.

Will have to take a look, got lost trying solutions.

Got dropbox working, though will stop it autostarting and start manually from terminal if want to update pics perhaps
Also installed firefox, transmission, filezilla and pcmanfm which are setup to start from advanced launcher.

To be fair, I'm all but done, written down what worked and about ready to dig out old pc
(2014-09-10, 20:51)fritsch Wrote: You could just follow one of my sticky howtos in the linux forum section (radeon oss or vaapi) - all of them use a simple upstart script for login.

Gota say if I'd read either of them first I would of saved a lot of fails lol.

I did try and make a similar script that wouldnt work and gave up, but will take another look now.

Oh well, been a bit lazy with Linux in recent years, just using Ubuntu variants which don't need much terminal stuff but this has reminded me of a fair bit of stuff.
Might reinstall my desktop starting with minimal base too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What would best option for gui be using minimal install?0