Subtitles color and brightness settings
it's likely due to weak powersupply in tv, it's a well known phenomenon, it happens when large portions of the screen changes from very light to very dark and so on

didnt know subs could have this effect though
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pumping = the screen appears to move/expand/vibrate?

im having that :tear:
so your saying its because of the powersupply and theres nothing you can do about it?
i just bought a used 32" panasonic that has this rather bad aswell, i'm gonna findout if it's something tweakable by a repairshop or not
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(pike @ april 24 2005,10:53 Wrote:why oh why do you keep watching blurred movies?
well, that's not my fault, honestly, these so-called blurred movies are actually watchable, due to their production years, like '50, '60, or '70, their picture qualtiy are not that sharp as nowadays, (even if you buy the dvd, it doesn't make much difference 'cauze the picture quality is still a little bit blurred if compared to recently released movies) and sometimes, due to the encoding skills of some newbie divx release teams, the picture quality of their releases also not that well. of course at least, they're watchable.        
and your question: why keep watching?  
'cauze they're watchable, though a bit blurred, and many of them are real classics.

thanks for your reply, pike.

anyway, whether this new feature will be added or not, i still greatly appreciate the effort all the xbmc team members put into xbmc, without their hard work, xbmc wouldn't be possible, wouldn't be the way it is. every hour of your hard work, millions worldwide benefit from it.  and what you guys get in return? maybe nothing at all, like schindler, but will be remembered as a group of good guys on the net, willing to sacrifice a great deal of their leisure time for the betterment of millions of xbox players' experiences. this is worth being given props from the bottom of our hearts.

and forgive me if i look demanding lately.       too bad i don't know much about programming, (otherwise i could try doing it myself), every new feature i request has to bump up the work load of xbmc team.
(pike @ april 24 2005,20:11 Wrote:i just bought a used 32" panasonic that has this rather bad aswell, i'm gonna findout if it's something tweakable by a repairshop or not
i don't know whether it can be tweaked. i think its a power source problem.
i'm not a electrician, but as far as i know it is a general problem of crts.
when the cathode ray switches from low (dark) to high (bright) powerconsumption the voltage directing the ray is also affected by this switch and causes this pumping effect.

thats why i think it would be great good to have some decent subtitle colors. no hard contrasts -> no pumping

currently i'm using yellow as subtitle color. the causes the less pumping on my screen.

btw:
xboxdash as a dvd player has this annoying bug: when displaying vobsubs it ignores the subtitlecolors specified in the ifo and always displays white Sad
maybe i can soon use another software to to play my dvds Confusedaint:
hi jmarshall,

about 2 months ago, i asked to add some other subtitle colors like ''baby blue, bright green, cyan", and it's very nice of you to help.

since you said it's pretty easy to add subtitle colors, so i dare ask if you could add several other subtitle colors into xbmc, they are the following colors:

dim white 1 : #f0efef

dim white 2 : #aaaaaa

light grey    : #999999

if you're willing to help, you may put this at the bottom of your priority list, so you may do it one week later, two weeks later or until the time you feel like doing it.

i'm very sorry to bother you again, and this is the last time i prattle about subtitle colors.
(xboxsfan @ may 31 2005,02:21 Wrote:i'm very sorry to bother you again, and this is the last time i prattle about subtitle colors.
maybe the subtitle color choices should be placed in an xml file? just a thought.
(xboxsfan @ may 31 2005,08:21 Wrote:since you said it's pretty easy to add subtitle colors, so i dare ask if you could add several other subtitle colors into xbmc, they are the following colors:

dim white 1 : #f9f9f9

dim white 2 : #fbf6fc

light grey    : #f0efef
i thought darker colours were needed (see the posts above about pumping).
something like

boring gray: 0xc0c0c0  or
not white not black: 0x808080 or maybe even
can't see a thing: 0x404040
Cool
even though the trend is to get rid of the xml -file, maybe a "user defined" which reads the rgb from xboxmediacenter.xml would be really nice.
so the normal use can select a preset in are gui and the power-user can define their own colors.

this would be great!
just updated xbmc to the latest version, and found there's a very cool video osd

sometimes i like to use different subtitle color when playing movie

but seems currently we cannot choose what color to use in video osd when playing movies with .srt subtitle,

so we have to jump to the main interface, then select setting, then video, then subtitle.......  so i wonders if subtitle color choice could be added into video osd, then we can choose what color to use on the fly, that'll be lot more convenient for us, who like to try different subtitle color when playing different movies.

if it isn't too much trouble, could style (normal, bold, italic...) be added into video osd too.

thanks in advance
nvm

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles color and brightness settings0