Subtitles color and brightness settings
ah - try the ones in my editted post - forgot a necessary piece!

as for adding stuff to the manual, all you need to do is register if you haven't already done so, and double click on a page to edit it.

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(jmarshall @ april 07 2005,13:43 Wrote:ah - try the ones in my editted post - forgot a necessary piece!
just tried this one <regexp>\.([a-d0-9]+)-</regexp>

still doesn't work for the following video files:

the.aviator.a-bmf.avi
the.aviator.b-bmf.avi

national.geographic.2003.dvdrip.xvid.extra.01-aaf.avi
national.geographic.2003.dvdrip.xvid.extra.02-aaf.avi

tv series:
ep-01.rmvb
ep-02.rmvb
ep-03.rmvb
ep-04.rmvb
ep-05.rmvb
ep-06.rmvb
ep-07.rmvb
ep-08.rmvb
ep-09.rmvb
ep-10.rmvb
ep-11.rmvb

blade trinity
b-blatria.avi
b-blatrib.avi
just tried it myself. first ones stack perfectly, just like i said they would.

the regexp won't work for the others ofcourse.

for the last one, try:

<regexp>([ab]+)\....$</regexp>

this will work, as it'll match at least one occurance of a through b at the end of a filename (notice the \. for a period, followed by 3 arbitary characters at the end of the file ($Wink.)

the tv series should be simple to come up with a regexp for. i'm not going to do all the work for you!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

sorry, man , i owe you an apology.

previously, i used xbmc as dashboard, when i updated regexp in xboxmediacenter.xml, i just removed the one in e:\apps\xbmc, but forgot to update the one in c:\, and so........ hours of effort wasted.

after i figured out the reason, and updated the xboxmediacenter.xml in c:\, everything worked just fine.

and now, i kind of understand how regexp works, and write some regexp, almost all the video files can stack together under these regexp:

<videostacking>
       <regexp>[ _\.-]*cd[ \.]*([0-9])*</regexp>
       <regexp>[ _\.a-z0-9-]([0-9])\....$</regexp>
                <regexp>\.([a-z0-9]+)-</regexp>
    <regexp>\-([a-z0-9])*</regexp>
    <regexp>[ _\.-]*part[ \.]*([0-9])*</regexp>
      </videostacking>

and remember, <regexp>[ _\.-]*cd[ \.]*([0-9])*</regexp> should be placed at the first place, 'cauze when stacking files, system will look at these regexp in order, once the video files' name is the same as stated in the first regexp, it'll stack together, if not, then take a look at following one, but,  all of these regexp seem to contradict with each other, if the first regexp suits the file name, even if it is just partly suited, then it will ignore all the other regexp, for example, if <regexp>[ _\.-]*part[ \.]*([0-9])*</regexp> is placed in the first order, then video files like "rounders.1998.dvdrip.xvid-particle.cd1.avi, rounders.1998.dvdrip.xvid-particle.cd2.avi" won't stack together because the word "-particle", part of it is the same as first regexp <regexp>[ _\.-]*part[ \.]*([0-9])*</regexp> , so the system will simply look at this regexp, and ignore all other regexp, but in this case, it is "cd1, cd2" that make it stack together, not "particle", so the video files won't stack together.

and many video files usually named like "...cd1, ...cd2....", in order to make as many video files stack together as possible, that's why the most general regexp  <regexp>[ _\.-]*cd[ \.]*([0-9])*</regexp> should be placed in first order.

if you don't believe, you can try placing  <regexp>[ _\.-]*cd[ \.]*([0-9])*</regexp> in the end of the videostacking code, and see if hotel rwanda "hr.cd1.dvdrip.xvid-deity.avi, hr.cd2.dvdrip.xvid-deity.avi" could stack together.

next, if you want to stack video files like :

01.avi
02.avi
03.avi
04.avi
05.avi

add the following code to the end of videostacking

<regexp>[ _\.-]*([a-z0-9])*</regexp>

( as for the previously mentioned tv series:
ep-01.rmvb
ep-02.rmvb
ep-03.rmvb
ep-04.rmvb
ep-05.rmvb
ep-06.rmvb
ep-07.rmvb
ep-08.rmvb
ep-09.rmvb
ep-10.rmvb
ep-11.rmvb

a regexp like : <regexp>\-([a-z0-9])*</regexp>
works perfectly fine. )

what's more, i found a little bug in this videostacking code, for example , if i want to stack tv seriers like:

the_x-files.9x01.avi
the_x-files.9x02.avi
the_x-files.9x03.avi
the_x-files.9x04.avi
the_x-files.9x05.avi
the_x-files.9x06.avi
the_x-files.9x07.avi
the_x-files.9x08.avi

add a regexp like this is enough:  
<regexp>[ _\.a-z0-9-]([0-9])\....$</regexp>

but when stacking and playing, the system will play the_x-files.9x07.avi first, and then the_x-files.9x01.avi, 9x02.avi ...... cauze' the file name of 9x07 is capital x, and the system seems to play files with capital letter first, not according to its number regardless of the already specified case-insensitive in string, maybe this is a little bug.
use + rather than * if the substring you are matching has to occur at least once. * means 0 or more times.

as for the file sort order with case - it probably should compare case-insensitive - i'll check.

hi, jmarshall, sorry to bother you again, 'cauze i was wondering if subtitle brightness could be added to subtitle osd,

currently, the white color for subtitle seems extremely bright, like #ffffff, for some video files whose picture quality are sharp, bright, clear, this goes just fine, but some video files, their picture  quality are not that well, a bit blurry or not that sharp, imagine a blurry picture with extremely white subtitle, the already a bit blurry picture looks more unacceptable in comparison with the extremely white subtitle, in this case, if the subtitle color could be adjusted to a less bright one, or even a dim one, maybe it'll combine well with the a bit blurry picture quality.

as for the regexp mentioned before, i followed your instruction and added to the online manual ten days ago, hope it helps.
up
i was wondering if subtitle brightness could be added to subtitle osd

currently, the white color for subtitle seems extremely bright, like #ffffff, for some video files whose picture quality are sharp, bright, clear, this goes just fine, like the following example:

the picture quality is sharp and clear, so the #ffffff subtitle goes fine with it.

unfortunately, there are some video files, their picture  quality are not that well, a bit blurry or not that sharp, like the following example:

blurry picture with extremely white subtitle, the already a bit blurry picture looks more unacceptable in comparison with the extremely white subtitle, in this case, if the subtitle color could be adjusted to a less bright one, or even a dim one, maybe it'll combine well with the a bit blurry picture quality.

i was wondering if subtitle brightness setting could be added to subtitle osd, so that when playing a kind of blurry video file, we could adjust the brightness of the .srt subtitle on the fly to suit the a bit blurry picture quality.

i checked setting.xml, but seems it has nothing to do with subtitle brightness, could anyone help with this?
could anyone give a reponse to this topic, it doesn't matter at all what you think about it, so any response, approving or disapproving, will be greatly appreciated. just tell me what you think.
well over here in scandinavia where we subtitle everything (and dub nothing thats not for kids) we use a pure white, fairly large and anti-aliased font all the time. it's easy to read and looks good.

your brightness idea might be nice sometimes, but having grown up with the "official" way to do it, i like it pure white.

they could add a color setting at least for .txt based subtitles (that would let you choose the color and shade) but probably most users dont need it.
thanks for your reply, joergen. yeah, you're right, for kids, or for educational purpose, pure white, fairly large and anti-aliased subtitle is always the best choice, as you said: it's easy to read and looks good.

but if you're trying to evaluate a video file, say, a movie, the picture quality is important, if the extremely white(#ffffff) subtitle makes the a bit blurry video file look more blurry by comparison, it'll somehow affect your impression of the video file. maybe some users already get used to the pure white subtitle for a long time, (in fact, previously, i got used to pure white subtitle for a long, long time, just for now, when i'm trying to assess a video file, then find the extremely white subtitle is a problem, the brightness of subtitle doesn't harmonize well with the a bit blurry picture, this will influence your view of the video file) so some users, like me, now, would like to adjust the pure white subtitle to a less pure one when encounter a kind of blurry video file. that's why adding a subtitle brightness setting will satisfy all.

don't know much about programming, but seems not too hard to add such a new feature to xbmc, could any xbmc team members kindly share your opinion of this?
never a a good thing to say you want something and in same sentence saying it must be easy to add something!

xboxsfan, you gotta take a chill pill there. i for one think this could maybe in some very limited cases maybe be usable, so this is something i would put very very low on a prioritylist if i was a dev (which i'm not btw)

and why oh why do you keep watching blurred movies?

so i would stop fishing there, if you want it really bad, see if you can find a willing external dev (non xbmc affiliated and tell him to submit a patch, if it doesnt crap out xbmc we may even incorporate it into cvs)

long story short "you don't always get what you want"

yeah id rather see them adding real anti aliased subtitle rendering
there is, at least from my point of view, a good reason why this would be a nice feature. although you don't need an additinal brightness. it is already partially implemented (see below).

on my tv i have an pumping like effect like when the picture is very dark (i like watching alien Smile ) and the subtitles are displayed in a bright color.
this is an issue with crts in genral, its not because of xbmc. the bigger the contrast between the image and the subtitles is the more pumping i have.

this can be worked around by choosing another subtitle color (cool feature btw.)
there were already additional colors added some time ago, but i would be happy to see some shades of gray in the subtitle color palette.
this would reduce the pumping effect when watching dark movies with subtitles

bernd
pumping effect?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles color and brightness settings0