Audio Resampling
I hope you not expecting the real audiophile test this.
The people who are looking for this kind of devices have AVR and pair or couple more speakers around like me. We like to see the signal lamp light as it supposed to according specification.
Then threre are real audiophiles. They speakers and audio boxes are worth all my house and everything in the room is customize to sound. There is NO good device on the market for them to play FLAC, they usually have no idea what the KODI is. (i know couple of them)

Just because somebody asking for DTS-HD, DD TrueHD, FLAC 24/192 doesn't mean he can really hear the different on his audio equipment. We just don't want to resample sound by cheapest part on it, what usually the MMC or HTPC audio components is.

Conclusion: We probably wont hear if you put us fake FLAC if it was make from enough quality source. But we will hear the difference when the device (MMC/HTPC) resample real FLAC 24/192 in real time. (That depends on audio equipment the listener have how much you can feel it) And special we'll see it on our AVR and we don't like to pay for light lamp on it which we never see lightening :-)
A friend of mine is building high-end audiophile speakers as a living.
I could only here a difference between mp3 and flac while testing a pair of his speakers.

And it also heavily depended on what kind of music and recording it was.
With most pop music it was more difficult to hear a difference but when listening to something more acoustical with big dynamic I could clearly hear more details and clarity in the higher frequencies.

We made various blind tests and depending on the song it was similar and then with other it was like night and day.

Here are some of his smallest speakers :-)

(2014-10-09, 14:35)MrNice Wrote: Could you have a look at the sing2L-064_stereo192kHz_01_08.flac file with Spek.
What is the cloud above 70 kHz? Why this noise?

(2014-10-09, 15:51)fritsch Wrote: No idea - really. Seems like an somehow unwanted effect by the 2L people.

(2014-10-09, 18:20)MrNice Wrote: But a lot of music files has this kind of noise.

Undertaker mode on Wink

You were discussing about this spectrum :

The "cloud" is some ultrasonic noise from a DSD (SACD) source which has not been low pass filtered when converted to PCM as it should have been.
Usually a 30 to 50 kHz low pass filter is used for this as on a 88.2 kHz source the ultrasonic noise starts at about 33 kHz.

Not filtering may add some distorsion to the converted PCM file. Some tweeters may not like it as well Smile

Edit : It may have been filtered at 50 kHz so some residual noise left. Completely not filtered would have seen a lot more noise.
Beebox N3150 - LibreELEC 7.90.009 | Synology DS212+ NAS 6TB
Panasonic DMP-BD65 bluray | Yamaha RX-A3030 AVR - Kef KHT3005SE 5.1 speakers | Optoma HD87 projector - Exclusiv-Home 2.8m 16:9 screen

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Resampling0