Should I wait for the Broadwell NUCs?
As I understand it, the rollout of the Broadwell NUCs is planned for Q1 2015. I was on the brink of buying a D34010WYK but now I'm not so sure... What do you think? Should I wait?
The D34010WYK will play perfectly 1080p SBS 3D movies, It works perfectly with Openelec and you don't need to spend the extra buck because it does everything needed. It just comes down to what you are looking to do on your box.
You can scrap the SBS 3D hehe : ). But you're right, I just need something to play your average 10GB H.264/DTS mkv file, something which I believe the D34010WYK is more than adequate for.

I was thinking more in terms of more power efficient, quieter, smaller form factor or perhaps even cheaper. I don't know... Maybe this won't differ a huge deal.
My hope for the next gen NUCs is, that it will come with HDMI 2.0 and HEVC (H.265) support.
But only "4k support" is anounced yet.
it will use M.2 sata SSD instead of msata which is more expensive now.....
Current computers can do HEVC and can also do 4k. But I do get sick of people talking about HEVC and 4k without talking bitrates. It is meaningless otherwise.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-11, 08:40)nickr Wrote: Current computers can do HEVC and can also do 4k. But I do get sick of people talking about HEVC and 4k without talking bitrates. It is meaningless otherwise.

Ditto frame rates. 2160/24p and 2160/60p are likely to require significantly different amounts of processing power to decode surely?
Exactly. My Sinclair spectrum can probably decode an HEVC movie if it is only 4 pixels by 2 pixels at 4 frames a second.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well, surely I hope for _full_ HEVC hardware support.
So all profiles, high tier, up to level 6.2, up to 8.192×4.320@120,0, ...
We will see what we get.
Do you mean hardware support as in a CPU that will do all that, or do you mean hardware support as in an accelerated GPU with cross platform support?
No, not CPU or GPU based - a dedicated hardware core. Intel calls it QuickSync...
I thought quicksync was an encoding technology?
Not only. It can encode and decode. Imho Intel uses the name typically for the transcoding feature.
only skylake wil support hevc via hardware if i'm not in error
With Broadwell it should be also possible.
But again - let us wait till first hardware is available for testing...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I wait for the Broadwell NUCs?0