I am a noobie by every definition any advice will be appreciated
Im sure these question have been asked a million times so i hope i don't get flamed. I stumbled upon xbmc by chance i was on craigslist looking for a used ipad when i came across an add saying we charge different rates to put xbmc on devices & allowed for streaming tv. That got me to doing a little research on xbmc. After doing some research on xbmc i realize this is very similar to a jailbroken iphone for tv but on a larger scale. So i have a little bit of an understanding of what xbmc is. Hardware not so easy as the iphone tho...Confused. I've been scouring this website for about a week just learning. I see everybodys taste are different as far as what they want in the htpc.....Im having a hard time figuring out what i want in mt htpc. I have a few questions about the whole process.
1. Is this a viable solution to actually kick my local cable out ( or are the repositories for xmbc off & on)
2. I have built desktop pc's in the past but don't want to really get to involved with that is there a setup that requires minimal building ?
3. I don't really need my audio to be hd but i do want the best picture quality i can get
4. I've read about different hardware add ons like a tv tuner card, dvr, etc. can somebody explain why i would need each (pros vs cons)
5. I watched a video where the user was using MS media center to run his xbmc ? and the interface looked a whole lot cleaner is this something thats a must or can you choose to just use xbmc standalone on your htpc with the option of using xbmc thru MS media center ? If so do they sell nucs with os installed already ?

Like i've said i really have been reading & learning but it seems like there are a lot of options & paths you can go ima simple guy just trying to do the basics rite now & as i learn about other things i can do i will venture into them but i guess picking the right setup from the beginning is key to moving forward from the noobie guy connecting his box to a tv to a seasoned user lets say trying to add hd audio. The other goal is to eventually teach my wife (electronically illiterate) how to be savvy enough to use this full time & kick cable out.
I think this may answer a lot of your questions in a general sort of way. Basically you can run xbmc as an app on whatever system you are comfortable with. If you want to be able to watch live tv (local stations and such) you would need tuner cards and perhaps pvr's.

XBMC is primarily a media center that will allow you to organize and enjoy your media and allows access to many different sources of media through the use of addons. Personally I'm not ready to replace my cable provider with xbmc yet but I could see it happening some day.

Far as hardware goes, a lot depends on which platform you like. I've always been a Mac person and I think the Mac Minis are great htpc's. If you like Windows then there is a wide range of nucs to choose from depending on how much you want to spend. Linux is also very popular but I can't say I know much about it.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I am a noobie by every definition any advice will be appreciated0