Best Android HTPC?
I have been running a houseful of XBMC clients for several years, starting with Windows/XBMC and slowly moving to OpenElec installs.

I have a new bedroom TV that needs a HTPC that can run XBMC. I had a spare Raspberry Pi which plays HD video surprisingly well, but any kind of navigation or searching in the UI takes a very long time. I am looking for something a step up from the Pi but less than a Windows-centric HTPC. All media is on a separate server in the house.

Requirements:
- fanless or nearly silent
- RJ-45 Ethernet, Wifi not needed or desired
- Decent speed in the UI but doesn't have to match PC speeds
- Netflix streaming would be a plus
- Somewhat straightforward to use

I know there are Android HTPCs but I have not tried them myself. Is there any clear winner in terms of hardware? I assume most Android HTPCs have a way to access the App Store to get the Netflix app. I see that some people use the Amazon Fire TV, how well does that work with XBMC? Based on the description, it looks like XBMC get shunted down into a Applications area instead of showing on bootup. I am concerned this will be too complicated a user experience for non-techies.
XBMC on Amazon FTV is quite good, with some caveats. I'd wait for Google's official Android TV boxes to roll out as I think they'll eclipse FTV and the gamut of Chinese Android boxes on the market today. Should be this Fall or by winter.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
FTV is also region locked. Ouya is supposed to be OK but haven't tested it myself. I still fail to see a reason for going android due to it being a compromise.
Quote:FTV is also region locked.
Only if you need Netflix, Amazon, etc. Also, they are releasing these in UK and Germany.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
OK. I was looking into Android to stream Netflix, but only if it is easy and works well. Netflix does not work on Linux/Openelec. I am not willing to go back to running Windows HTPCs. It would make more sense to buy a cheap Roku box just for that purpose, and run XBMC on a Intel mini-ITX system.
Fire TV is by far the best XBMC experience I've ever had. It can literally do everything my htpc can do besides play actual blu-ray discs. And it has Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video, watch ESPN, HBO go, etc. Incredible device for $100 if you can root it.
Odroid U3 from hardkernel.com. Already have cm 11 on them and will run $100 for everything. Ethernet, 2gb ram, emmc 8gb-64gb, equivalent to Samsung s4 hardware.

Great community ND support. I have 8 of them with central dB. Works amazingly with gapps installed, and emulators.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Android HTPC?0