Win Newbie here
Just want to start by saying. Amazing software. I've been using WMC for many many years now and use a Happauage CableCard tuner with Comcast. I've always had 1 WMC HTPC with 1 xbox 360 as an extender. The extender works great but i'm trying to evolve here and my eyes are starting to open.

Is XBMC an evolved version of the software which used to be on the first generation hacked Xbox's? (LOL) I really enjoyed using it back then but the xbox got replaced by a PC when it couldn't push 720p MKV videos.

Anyways! Last night I loaded Kodi for the very first time. I setup my Videos in minutes flat. I really like the layout and navigation. I have yet to tweak out the appearance but I certainly will once I feel comfortable with what I need.
I didn't expect to watch live TV - as I said. My CableCard tuner was downstairs in a WMC PC (via USB)... but to my surprise while screwing around with enabling "Live TV" I found a "Windows Media Center PVR"...HAH ("Thank you Mr Developer I said to myself)... I loaded the ServerWMC software on my WMC PC and boom - Channel line up, recorded TV, it was all there... I was pretty damn impressed! (Never do solutions exceed my expectations, and this did)

I did feel like navigating through the Live TV features were a bit... Quirky... I walked outside to smoke a butt and my wife picked up the remote. I heard her mumbling while trying to navigate. So obviously wasn't intuitive enough for her. It took me a bit to find the best way to tune to a channel. My method is to simply open the guide, find a channel, and "switch to" it. I wish pressing the "OK" button would simply tune to it - is that possible? I'd like to dumb the UI down and possible program a button on my remote to watch "Live TV" and immediately start tuning the last watched TV channel. Right now i'm using a generic MSI media center remote - which - will certainly be replaced by another Logitech Harmony remote if this solution can meet all my needs.

I also noticed my premium channels (HBO/Starz) did not properly decode - but in WMC they do. What am I missing here?

I also found that when changing channels (Channel surfing) it took quite a while to change the channel (quite a bit longer than WMC) by the time it was fully tuned the "Info" screen was gone (so I had to hit info on each channel I surfed to) - so in the end I found channel surfing was not practical - and the "Guide" button on my remote was the go-to. I'm on a Gigabit network with decent hardware, so - maybe this is working as intended?

I did notice that the "Recorded TV" folder from my WMC PC HAD to be accessible to even tune a channel - which leads me to believe that every channel you tune - is immediately 'recording' live tv to a network share over the network (while simultaneously sending the actual HD TV signal over the network) - maybe this would explain the long channel switches.

It would be nice to be able to change the behavior so I could have "pause live TV" recording go locally - and actual Scheduled Recordings go to my WMC PC (I think i'm asking too much here!)

Anyways - I feel like I just opened a can of worms - because i'm going to be spending a TON of time on this software until I can confirm or deny it does everything I need, and the way I need it to (4 kids in the house will need to learn it) - If it can. Bye Bye Windows Media Center!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments.
There should be a setting under XBMC -> Settings -> Live TV that will go to full screen when you select a channel. There should also be a setting to resume on the last watched channel as well.

For some of the other stuff it might be good to post about it in the WMC sub-forum: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=205

I haven't use WMC myself so I don't really know much about it. However, not getting HBO or Starz is simply because of how those channels are flagged by the TV company. WMC is a certified player for content with that flag, but they don't allow access to that content to other players who aren't certified. XBMC/Kodi being open source, it's highly doubtful we'd ever get such certification :\
Yup! got it!... Plus, found an Aeon skin that actually made me prefer the Live TV channel lineup view. Now when I hit live TV i'm given a list (Which left me off where I was last tuned) hitting OK/enter tunes full screen then the info goes away seconds later.

Ideal! Unfortunately I won't be replacing my main WMC PC due to the premium channels being needed in the living room - but I can live with that in my own bedroom.

Thanks!

and thanks to everyone for the obvious massive efforts put into developing the software!
Hello everyone,, another newbie here. To be specific i'm very new to Kodi and PVR software so all assistance is welcome.

I would like to record a 24 hour transmission of a tv channel with all the shows and commercials. I believe with Kodi, i can schedule recordings, however i would also want to split the the recordings into various lengths (during the recording) so i would not have a 24hour long clip in my timeline when editing. Is that possible, if so, how?

Thank you in advance :-)
Kodi doesn't record anything. You will need a TV-card, a proper backend software and then use the client from the backend as an frontend inside Kodi. For example: TVHeadend. It's meant as a client server system...start reading here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie here0