Hifiberry no sound
Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum...

Today I have got a Hifiberry DAC+ RCA for the RPi B+, but I don't get any sound on the Hifiberry.

I also use:

- XBMC 13.1
- Gotham
- OpenElec 4.0.7 (uname -a, tells it's OpenElec 3.14.8)
- Raspberry Pi B+

Does anybody have a solution to get this work?

Kind regards,

Jos
Have you add the requiered module in /etc/modules or /etc/modules.d ?
Hi feuille_de_lune,

Thanks for the quick reply! No I haven't add the requiered module in /etc/modules or /etc/modules.d

Where can I find this and which modules do I need?

Kind regards,

Jos
(2014-09-10, 16:39)DoubleVries Wrote: Hi feuille_de_lune,

Thanks for the quick reply! No I haven't add the requiered module in /etc/modules or /etc/modules.d

Where can I find this and which modules do I need?

Kind regards,

Jos

On there website <= it's a link Wink
It would be nice if they had OpenELEC specific instructions.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Yes, I tried this on OpenElec and Rasbian. On Rasbian it works, but not on OpenElec.

With OpenElec I still got no sound. When booting..I see an error 'Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

I also tried one of your beta versions, I see changes, but the command 'uname -a' always shows the same version.

From the shop I got a pre-installed OpenElec version. Boot files are installed on a micro sd card and the other part on USB-stick. I guess the software on the sd card doesn't get updated. Is that correct?

Is this a very difficult problem to solve?
In OpenELEC 4.0.x onwards, all you need to do is copy the new tar file to the Update folder and reboot - firmware, kernel and system files will be updated.

With recent builds of my "beta" versions (they're not even that, they're test versions Smile), use the lsb_release command to see the build code (ie. #0907). It's also shown on the boot screen. Try updating and report back if you have any problems - post your /flash/cmdline.txt file if you have a problem ("cat /flash/cmdline.txt | pastebinit" then paste the link).

In OpenELEC, you need to create the file "/storage/.config/modules-load.d/hifiberry.conf" and populate it with the Hifiberry modules you wish to be loaded at boot.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I though that raspbmc look like Openelec. Confused
(2014-09-11, 00:23)feuille_de_lune Wrote: I though that raspbmc look like Openelec. Confused

No - quite different! Smile

OpenELEC is kind of "embedded" with a read-only root file system, and doesn't support a package update system like apt-get (as there's no need for it).

/storage is the read-write partition, which is also where .xbmc is found.

With /etc being read-only, user modified configuration files have to be read from elsewhere, typically /storage/.config.
(2014-09-10, 23:34)Milhouse Wrote: In OpenELEC 4.0.x onwards, all you need to do is copy the new tar file to the Update folder and reboot - firmware, kernel and system files will be updated.

I did.

Quote:With recent builds of my "beta" versions (they're not even that, they're test versions Smile), use the lsb_release command to see the build code (ie. #0907). It's also shown on the boot screen. Try updating and report back if you have any problems - post your /flash/cmdline.txt file if you have a problem ("cat /flash/cmdline.txt | pastebinit" then paste the link).

Ok..here is my output:

OpenELEC:~ # lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140806204614-r18927-g2ac517e

After reboot, still no sound on the speakers, when I want to play a mp3 from XMBC.

OpenELEC:~ # cat /flash/cmdline.txt
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet

OpenELEC:~ # cat /flash/cmdline.txt | pastebinit
http://sprunge.us/dKbc

OpenELEC:~ # uname -a
Linux OpenELEC 3.14.8 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jun 25 14:36:42 CEST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

Quote:In OpenELEC, you need to create the file "/storage/.config/modules-load.d/hifiberry.conf" and populate it with the Hifiberry modules you wish to be loaded at boot.

Sorry I'm a Linux/RPi beginner...what do you mean by "populate it with the Hifiberry modules you wish to be loaded at boot"?
I have only created this file:.

OpenELEC:~/.config/modules-load.d # cat hifiberry.conf
snd_soc_bcn2708
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_doc_hifiberry_dacplus

After reboot I don't here any sound on 'analoque, when I play a mp3-file.
The hifiberry.conf looks fine.

To confirm the modules have loaded, check with lsmod. Run the following commands and paste the urls:
Code:
lsmod | pastebinit
dmesg | pastebinit

What are your audio settings, Settings -> System -> Audio output? You should be able to select "ALSA: Default (snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus Analog)" as the output device.

If the system hangs once you select the ALSA device, you should follow the advice in this github issue and blacklist the lirc_pi driver so that it is not loaded.

You're also not running the latest of my test builds, you might want to try updating to the latest build. The latest builds now automatically select dvdplayer when using Alsa audio output devices, so should work better with the HiFiberry.
(2014-09-11, 07:20)Milhouse Wrote: The hifiberry.conf looks fine.

To confirm the modules have loaded, check with lsmod. Run the following commands and paste the urls:
Code:
lsmod | pastebinit
dmesg | pastebinit

OpenELEC:~ # lsmod | pastebinit
http://sprunge.us/eKaL

OpenELEC:~ # dmesg | pastebinit
http://sprunge.us/IVcO

Quote:What are your audio settings, Settings -> System -> Audio output? You should be able to select "ALSA: Default (snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus Analog)" as the output device.

I only can select HDMI or Analog. No ALSA option found in the Audio output settings.

Quote:If the system hangs once you select the ALSA device, you should follow the advice in this github issue and blacklist the lirc_pi driver so that it is not loaded.

You're also not running the latest of my test builds, you might want to try updating to the latest build. The latest builds now automatically select dvdplayer when using Alsa audio output devices, so should work better with the HiFiberry.

Ok, I try the latest build. But how do I get the ALSA option in the audio settings?
(2014-09-11, 07:36)DoubleVries Wrote: OpenELEC:~ # lsmod | pastebinit
http://sprunge.us/eKaL

There's something wrong here as the list is empty, as though you have no modules loaded which shouldn't be the case whether your hifiberry modules have loaded or not. Are you seeing any errors when you run the lsmod command?

There's also no evidence in dmesg of the hifiberry modules being loaded.

Edit: In fact, probably because of the typos below, there is an error:
Code:
[    6.495370] systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
[    6.513971] systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
[    6.514105] systemd[1]: Unit systemd-modules-load.service entered failed state.

(2014-09-11, 07:36)DoubleVries Wrote: Ok, I try the latest build. But how do I get the ALSA option in the audio settings?

By loading the modules.

Actually, I've just noticed your hifiberry.conf has typo errors:
Quote:OpenELEC:~/.config/modules-load.d # cat hifiberry.conf
snd_soc_bcn2708
bcm2708_dmaengine

snd_soc_bcn2708 => snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_doc_hifiberry_dacplus => snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus

Fix the errors and try again.
(2014-09-11, 07:56)Milhouse Wrote: There's something wrong here as the list is empty, as though you have no modules loaded which shouldn't be the case whether your hifiberry modules have loaded or not. Are you seeing any errors when you run the lsmod command?

No I don't see any error when I run the lsmod command.

Quote:
There's also no evidence in dmesg of the hifiberry modules being loaded.

Edit: In fact, probably because of the typos below, there is an error:
Code:
[    6.495370] systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
[    6.513971] systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
[    6.514105] systemd[1]: Unit systemd-modules-load.service entered failed state.

(2014-09-11, 07:36)DoubleVries Wrote: Ok, I try the latest build. But how do I get the ALSA option in the audio settings?

I tried the latest build, I get a lot of errors and it looks like the system is rebooting all the time.
When I'm fast..I can look at the audio settings. Still no ALSA option.

Quote:By loading the modules

Actually, I've just noticed your hifiberry.conf has typo errors:

OpenELEC:~/.config/modules-load.d # cat hifiberry.conf
snd_soc_bcn2708
bcm2708_dmaengine

snd_soc_bcn2708 => snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_doc_hifiberry_dacplus => snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus

Fix the errors and try again.

I have editted the hifiberry.conf and fixed the errors..after rebooting. No changes, as far as I can see.

Here's my output again:

OpenELEC:~ # lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140910222156-r19214-gebd5882 [Build #0910]

OpenELEC:~ # cat /flash/cmdline.txt
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet

OpenELEC:~ # cat /flash/cmdline.txt | pastebinit
http://sprunge.us/DBDY

OpenELEC:~ # uname -a

OpenELEC:~ # lsmod | pastebinit
http://sprunge.us/TbAS

OpenELEC:~ # dmesg | pastebinit
http://sprunge.us/OYgd

OpenELEC:~ # cat /etc/modules-load.d/hifiberry.conf
snd_soc_bcm2708
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus
(2014-09-11, 16:09)DoubleVries Wrote: OpenELEC:~ # uname -a

This is a *very* old kernel for a Milhouse build.
Your update procedure is not working...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hifiberry no sound0