Is Video Buffering Caused By Lack Of Server RAM?
Hi there,

I have an HP Proliant N54L server with 4GB RAM which holds the video files I watch over 3 different Openelec Clients. Occasionally I get video pausing and buffering issues and it appears to coincide with the Server being bust doing other processes.

Is there any way to test this theory, or is it a know fact, and I should just get another stick of RAM to double the current memory from 4GB to 8GB.

Is it possible I could solve my problem using one of more of these methods?

wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Modify_the_cache

Thanks in advance for any help.
Have you tried to monitor the server in any way, to see if RAM usage is peeking when the server is put on stress?
If not, it won't help you to just get it another stick of RAM. The problem must lie elsewhere.
I have replicated the problem by running this stress test on the server while watching a film.

http://www.jam-software.com/heavyload/

When I started the stress test (after upping the Memory threshold to 2048MB) the film started stuttering and pausing, and when I stopped the test the film ran perfectly.

I added these lines to my advancedsetting, but it hasn't helped.

Code:
<network>
      <buffermode>1</buffermode>
      <cachemembuffersize>104857600</cachemembuffersize>
      <readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>
    </network>

Should I try any other settings?
are clients connected via lan or wifi?
Peppe
Gigabyte LAN.

(2014-09-11, 11:47)david1337 Wrote: Have you tried to monitor the server in any way, to see if RAM usage is peeking when the server is put on stress?
If not, it won't help you to just get it another stick of RAM. The problem must lie elsewhere.

Thanks for your input.

How would I best monitor the Server's RAM? Task Manager perhaps?
I have tested the new advanced settings in a less extreme way, by opening lots of tabs in chrome, downloading a large file and moving a file between 2 hard drives and so far the film has not paused.

Perhaps the stress test was a step too far, but for now at least it seems my problem is solved.
(2014-09-11, 12:11)Tyler Durden Wrote: Gigabyte LAN.

(2014-09-11, 11:47)david1337 Wrote: Have you tried to monitor the server in any way, to see if RAM usage is peeking when the server is put on stress?

Thanks for your input.

How would I best monitor the Server's RAM? Task Manager perhaps?

Yeah you can use Task Manager, if you want to monitor it manually Smile

I would recommend that you use Windows performance monitor - there is a tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lni09SUv61w

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Video Buffering Caused By Lack Of Server RAM?0