HD Maxed so Moving Files
Currently using Windows 7 and Frodo for XBMC. My skin is Transparancy.

I have media files (movies, TV, ETC) stored on external hard drives (Drives P &T). They are starting to max out. Each drive has a folder named XBMC. Each XBMC folder has top level folders that reflect categories. Actual movies, TV shows, etc . exist inside the category folders. Example XBMC structure for Drive P is as follows:

Drive P/XBMC
1 Movies (titles 1 to H)
Concerts
Kids
Music Videos
Other Stuff (not in library)
TV
XMAS
Yuck (not in library)
Pictures (family pictures)
Music (MP3s)

I need to restructure the library to introduce a third drive and move folders to it. Those not in the library should be easy to do. But others are not so easy. So for example, if I move the TV shows I will need to map the new location, remove them from the library and then add them back. I don’t even remember how the pictures and music are linked in XBMC.

The advice I found by looking at old post is as follows:

1. Export Library to Separate Files
2. Move “TV”, “Music Videos”, “Kids”, “Concerts” to new drive but leave existing catagory folders (“TV”, “Music Videos”, “Kids”, “Concerts”) so the “Clean Library” function has access to them.
3. Use “Clean Library” to remove links for the files that were moved.
4. Remove the sources from the category level files on Drive P and then delete the old top level files in Windows.
5. Add new source locations and import the contents back into the library.

I don’t understand why I need to export the files to separate folders rather than just cut and paste them in windows. And I am not sure if the import files will re-scrape from the net. I don’t want it to re-scrape. I just want it to use local content in my existing nfo, tbn and jpg files.

Any comments or suggestions or clarifications to this project? Any thoughts on export and import functions?
You can just move selected TV shows that are still running to new drive and leave all the ones that are finished in old drive, then just remove/refresh content on stuff you moved. Same goes for any content not everything has to move.

As for exporting files to own folders that includes all metadata and artwork, so when you adding that media again any existing meta or art will already be in directories the content lives and takes precedence over any extrenal meta or art (that means if that info exists locally it doesnt have to be downloaded again)
(2014-09-11, 20:22)uNiversal Wrote: You can just move selected TV shows that are still running to new drive and leave all the ones that are finished in old drive, then just remove/refresh content on stuff you moved. Same goes for any content not everything has to move.

As for exporting files to own folders that includes all metadata and artwork, so when you adding that media again any existing meta or art will already be in directories the content lives and takes precedence over any extrenal meta or art (that means if that info exists locally it doesnt have to be downloaded again)

I am keeping the old TV shows. So I want to move the whole TV sub-directory. So it sounds like I should export and import and that will save me from any re-scraping. I guess I am not sure how. Perhaps the export is a copy to a the new drive and location. And the import is a library function only. It doesn't move any files.

Thanks for your help. Just want to make sure I have my ducks in the row before I start moving things around. My XBMC setup is working perfectly for me now other than running out of disk space.

Best,
wdpcpa
If you are just getting a third drive, why do you need to move anything? Just put new stuff on the new drive and leave the rest where it is.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-12, 23:54)nickr Wrote: If you are just getting a third drive, why do you need to move anything? Just put new stuff on the new drive and leave the rest where it is.

Good question. I use Transparancy. And I don't really make my own categories. So "Movies" include all the movies. By going to "Video" that is basically a file view. That is how I set up XBMC. So there the folder structure shows up and instead of "Movies" I see:

1. Movies (1 to H)
2. Movies (J to Z)
3. Concerts
4. Documentary
4. Kids
5. Marvel Universe
5. Scary
6. XMAS
6. Yucky Movies
7. Other things

I use the file view a lot. Not everything in the file view is in the Library. So Yucky Movies don't show up. But ... some other people watch them.

Since I don't have a separate tab in XBMC based on the NFO file like I do for TV and Music Videos, it is an easy way to categorize. That way I don't scroll through horror movies except at Holloween or Christmas movies except for Christmas, etc. I suppose, that is what the file view is for. But it makes the maintenance a bit of a pain. I didn't think about that at the time. Does that make sense?
It makes sense, although is not necessarily the best solution.

There is software that will combine directories on several drives/partitions to a single virtual directory. Therefore you could make a virtual directory with all your Christmas movies even though they they are spread over more than one drive. For linux I use mhddfs, if I remember the windows version I'll post it. (remembered one is drivebender, another may be drivepool?)

Also (as an alternative) something you may not know is that you can make a smart playlist based on directory or path, and then put the smart playlist somewhere convenient - this may be better than file view and you should also be able to combine paths, eg

path includes h:\Yucky OR path includes g:\yucky

PS would love to know the definition of yucky movies, if it is fit for public consumption ;-)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You don't even need special software. When you add a file source in XBMC you can actually add more than one directory/network/whatever to the same source. It's even smart enough to combine the sub-folders as well. Just use the "add" button under the "browse" button when you add a source and add both hard drives. Then XBMC, even in file view, combines all of the content logically.
Even in file view? I didn't know that!
nickr and Ned,

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize I could have multiple sources in file view. I thought whatever the name of the folder that I linked to would be the category shown in file view. So what you are saying is just add folders with the same name and link the source. If Drive P as a folder called "TV" and Drive X has a folder called "TV". I will see one category called TV in file view that will have all the TV shows off both drives. Cool.

nickr, movies that make the yuck list are just films that we don't like. We give a film about 10 to 15 minutes. Then the bride and I look at each other and if either gives a thumbs down, we stop. Most of the time, the film ends up on the yuck list. When that happens, I remove them from the library and move the film and the associated art, tbn, and NFO to the designated place. Guest can still view them in file mode. A lot of times these are adolescent films with bathroom humor.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Maxed so Moving Files0