NAS vs File Server
Question 
Hello all.

I am in the process of my first build, in terms of a server. I have heard pros and cons of both the NAS, and simply a file server.

The only thing that I need is a way to serve up video files to multiple sources. Basically, any device would be able to access said files.

I won't have any use of optical drives or anything like that. I will have all videos in .MKV format, if that helps. I will require multiple HDDs.

I just need a push. I have purchased some items which are pretty universal (HDD, SSD). I didn't want to buy anything that I couldn't use, as I don't want components that I don't need.

Also, I have decided on a small form-factor. It will be out in the open, and a tower will be an eyesore.

Thanks in advance.
Wait isnt a NAS (network attached Storage) a file server? I think it is. So aside from hardware here and software to run in this NAS which is covered everywhere in the hardware sections.

Im actually unsure what you want to achieve if you want a ALL in one box that is server and also can run Kodi on same machine or two separate machines a server and a separate client.

In the first case you MUST have something powerfull enough to decode 1080p any i3/i5 with intel HD4xxx or HD5xxx will do it and still be able to have enough humpf for the server portions.

If not you want a relatively low powered machine as server no gpu required with a decent amount of ram, some freenas software and then the client again something that can take 1080p video or better and play it.
The first question is whether you like to tinker or do you want to buy something you can just plug in and go.

I like Synology NAS as a prebuilt solution. The software and support are very good. It's not cheap, though. You might want to check eBay.

For a "tinkering" solution, I like UnRaid.

How many hard drives were you planning on? This will dictate the size of your case.
You Can try OpenMediaVault. It is Debian Wheezy with a GUI.
Quote:OpenMediaVault is primarily designed to be used in home environments or small home offices, but is not limited to those scenarios. It is a simple and easy to use out-of-the-box solution that will allow everyone to install and administrate a Network Attached Storage without deeper knowledge.

The 1.0 release is on Monday, 15. Sep
http://blog.openmediavault.org/
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
I was under the impression that NAS had RAID and some more technical-type stuff.
And a File Server was just a bunch of HDDs.

My plan is to have a NAS/server to hold videos in MKV format. I will have a HTPC in the living room. I will need plenty of storage space, as I currently have over 2TB of video so far, and I'd like the ability to expand. Sorry for the noob-ish questions. I just want to do it right.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.
NAS usually means an off-the-shelf specialty system like Synology, etc. that's in a proprietary case running proprietary software while a file server is a PC, either off-the-shelf or DIY, running a general-use operating system like Windows Server, Windows, Ubuntu Server, etc. The big advantage to a NAS is it's ready to go out-of-the-box. The software is installed, usually in firmware and you just plug in the disks. The downside is that NASes can be picky when it comes to HDD compatibility and the hardware can't be upgraded. The advantage to a file-server is it's a PC so it's ultimately flexible -- install whatever hardware, disks and software you'd like. The disadvantage is, well, you have to do all the installing. The exception to that would be a HP/Dell/etc. server PC.

Both serve mostly the same purpose but are two different solutions.
Okay. That's clears things up. A lot.

I think I'm going to go with a file server.
It seems like the best option, as term as ease of use. And so far, I've used a HDD on my main PC. I then stream it to my TV.
So it looks like my best bet is to continue the same course of action.
I'll just have more HDDs. And they'll be in their own dedicated machine.

Thank you so much, guys!
(2014-09-14, 03:30)Dougie Fresh Wrote: NAS usually means an off-the-shelf specialty system like Synology, etc. that's in a proprietary case running proprietary software while a file server is a PC, either off-the-shelf or DIY, running a general-use operating system like Windows Server, Windows, Ubuntu Server, etc. The big advantage to a NAS is it's ready to go out-of-the-box. The software is installed, usually in firmware and you just plug in the disks. The downside is that NASes can be picky when it comes to HDD compatibility and the hardware can't be upgraded. The advantage to a file-server is it's a PC so it's ultimately flexible -- install whatever hardware, disks and software you'd like. The disadvantage is, well, you have to do all the installing. The exception to that would be a HP/Dell/etc. server PC.

I knew the answers to this explanation already I run a File server personally and i find it so much more flexible i will be building a new and improved one in the next week i will be posting some pics and stuff in the showcase thread once completed and up and running

however just wanted to say if i was a newb to this that is an excellent explanation of what either is clear informative and simplified good job mate Smile
(2014-09-12, 16:40)Solo0815 Wrote: You Can try OpenMediaVault. It is Debian Wheezy with a GUI.
Quote:OpenMediaVault is primarily designed to be used in home environments or small home offices, but is not limited to those scenarios. It is a simple and easy to use out-of-the-box solution that will allow everyone to install and administrate a Network Attached Storage without deeper knowledge.

I just setup an instance in a vm and it looks quite awesome. Only just what you need in a media vault, a nice and simple web gui to administer it and an open OS underneath the covers, all in a pure open source package.
(2014-09-14, 15:23)protocol77 Wrote:
(2014-09-14, 03:30)Dougie Fresh Wrote: NAS usually means an off-the-shelf specialty system like Synology, etc. that's in a proprietary case running proprietary software while a file server is a PC, either off-the-shelf or DIY, running a general-use operating system like Windows Server, Windows, Ubuntu Server, etc. The big advantage to a NAS is it's ready to go out-of-the-box. The software is installed, usually in firmware and you just plug in the disks. The downside is that NASes can be picky when it comes to HDD compatibility and the hardware can't be upgraded. The advantage to a file-server is it's a PC so it's ultimately flexible -- install whatever hardware, disks and software you'd like. The disadvantage is, well, you have to do all the installing. The exception to that would be a HP/Dell/etc. server PC.

I knew the answers to this explanation already I run a File server personally and i find it so much more flexible i will be building a new and improved one in the next week i will be posting some pics and stuff in the showcase thread once completed and up and running

however just wanted to say if i was a newb to this that is an excellent explanation of what either is clear informative and simplified good job mate Smile

Thanks Smile
(2014-09-16, 01:52)smitopher Wrote:
(2014-09-12, 16:40)Solo0815 Wrote: You Can try OpenMediaVault. It is Debian Wheezy with a GUI.

I just setup an instance in a vm and it looks quite awesome. Only just what you need in a media vault, a nice and simple web gui to administer it and an open OS underneath the covers, all in a pure open source package.

I have, with some effort, been able to combine both OMV and XBMC into an all-in-one HTPC/File Server

Open Media Vault seems a bit of overkill for what I need.

I think I'm going with a File Server. It's what I'm using now, only with more storage.

Thanks guys. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS vs File Server0