Video "Freezing"
All;

Below is a message I've originally posted in the MythTV pvr addon forums.... I've not gotten a response yet, which is ok. However, upon doing more and more testing on my own, I'm not convinced that this is a cMyth addon problem. Please review the below message, and let me know your thoughts: Please note, that I have 2 raspberry Pi's that are running xbmc 13.1 --- these units DO NOT freeze when watching LiveTV. The channel in question, is a channel that sometimes artifacts .... When this happens, for whatever reason XBMC tries to 'buffer'. I'm not sure what it's trying to buffer, or why it thinks it needs to buffer, but it buffers. When it does, that it what causes the video to freeze. Audio usually continues ... but the video will be frozen.

At first I thought it might be related to some wonky-ness in XBMCBuntu, that is why I installed Openelec on my 2nd htpc --- it does the same thing. Also, if both XBMC units are watching livetv, on this channel, they don't always lock up at the same spot.... it's random --- but only when xbmc thinks it needs to buffer.

My Mthbackend is a 100% dedicated backend. Nothing else is going using the backend. All the storage directories for MythTV are mounted under /var/lib/mythtv on a dedicated WD NAS drive.

This seems to have happened with 13.2? I was running 13.0 on both my htpc's just fine, and never recall this issue happening. I'm not sure if it is related to XBMC itself, or the plugin ... so I'm going to try and explain the best I can.

I have 2 htpc's ... 1 is an AMD Sempron, the other a Core2 Duo. They both have Nvidia cards. My main htpc, on my living room tv is hooked up to my receiver and fully supports 7.1 dts/dd/etc/etc/etc. The htpc in my bedroom is just hooked to my Vizio TV.

When I upgraded them to 13.2, I've noticed when watching LiveTV, that on one channel, the video freezes. Sometimes the audio stays, and continues on just fine, but the video is froze. Sometime the video will freeze, and the audio will continue for a few seconds, and then cut off. The only way to fix it, is to stop playback and restart it. It's random when it happens, sometimes you can watch tv for an hour and then it happens, sometimes only a few minutes.

I have noticed, that on this channel, sometimes XBMC will buffer. The channel is an OTA channel, and I get about 80-90% signal strength. Sometimes you can see it artifacting, but you can still watch ok.

I've attached a log from my bedroom htpc. It's running openelec. The htpc in my living room is running xbmcbuntu. Again, this issue happens on BOTH htpc's.

As a side note, I've installed MythBuntu on the living room pc, and used it to watch LiveTV all weekend with no video freezing issues.

Both HTPC's are hardwired into a 1gig switch ... I don't think I have network issues.

Thanks for the help

Here is a link for the log file... it was too big to use pastebin =(

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3387181/xbmc.log
install mythfrontend on the xbmcbuntu system and test.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-13, 02:10)nickr Wrote: install mythfrontend on the xbmcbuntu system and test.

I did. I mentioned that in my post.

I installed mythbuntu as a frontend and it works fine. MythTV has no problem playing the video, even if the channel artifacts...
Sorry I should have read more thoroughly!

I have noticed that mythfrontend is more immune to glitches. The other night the 6 o'clock news (recorded) wouldn't play past 6 minutes 0n xbmc, but worked fine on myth.

Mythterious.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have been encountering a similar problem with NextPVR and OpenElec. I have an OTA channel that has occasional signal dropouts which XBMC can't seem to handle. In my case, it doesn't seem to try to rebuffer, it just freezes and sometimes won't recover requiring a manual restart. I have noticed this behavior in both Live TV and recordings playback as well.
Did you ever solve this issue?

I am having the same problem with a dedicated MythTV 0.27 backend.

Most of my channels play fine, but one channel is of lesser quality, and often freezes.

For me It started when I moved to Helix, but this may just be coincidence, as I noticed a drop in transmission quality at about the same time.

Thanks,
Matt
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video "Freezing"0