Gotham wont boot with mysql running
I have just created a new server. Ubuntu 14.04.

The very first thing I did was install mysql-server
I then changed the IP addresses in advancedsettings.xml on all of my xbmc machines.
I started up one of the machines and confirm that it created a new database in /var/lib/mysql.
Then I stopped the mysql service and copied the files from my old database into var/lib/mysql
I then started the machines up again thinking I would see my library but......
I am running openelec and when it gets to the gotham splash screen it shows that for a second and then screen goes blank.
After 3 or so seconds the gotham splash screen flashes again for a second.
This loop carries on until I run the "sudo stop mysql" on the server.
XBMC then loads up straight after.

Anybody have any idea what I can try? I really dont want to have to start from scratch again!
That is not how you backup or transfer a MySQL database. The binary database files are not compatible across versions of MySQL. Google mysqlbackup.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ok. Thanks for your reply.

My problem is that the original machine got messed up so all I have is the files from the old database. Is there anyway I can import the files without having the original mysql running?
The original database was mariadb.
The best way of course would be to use the exact same version of mariadb to do a text dump and then import the text dump. This is something you could probably do in a virtualbox machine.

Of course there could be other problems too, like permissions. My 1st response was a shoot from the hip of what I immediately contemplated might be the problem. Let's look at some other potential problems before we panic!

Did you create the user and password on the new machine, like in the wiki howto?

What do the xbmc logs on the new machine say when you start XBMC? You can enable debug logging from advancedsettings.xml without having XBMC actually running. The MySQL logs might have something relevant too.

PS did ou learn a lesson about database backups? LOL.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham wont boot with mysql running0