Openelec alternative to RPI
Good night Nickr and thanks for your help!

That's not good news to hear about the state of the Helix library. Is this a commonly known issue and is this expected to be fixed for the upcoming Helix releases? Is this an issue across platforms or would it be better if I scan with one release?

So, what you are suggesting is to delete the mysql database and downgrade by OSX HTPC to Gotham. Then scan everything and afterwards upgrade back to Helix Alpha 3. Afterrwards, library scan for movies will continue to work, while tvshows will be a bit hit-and-miss?

Actually, anything that I would be missing if I stay on Gotham? Downgrading openelec should not be too difficult as I could just drop the file into the upgrade folder?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2014-09-27, 15:38)steve1977 Wrote: That's not good news to hear about the state of the Helix library. Is this a commonly known issue and is this expected to be fixed for the upcoming Helix releases? Is this an issue across platforms or would it be better if I scan with one release?

Hard to say how well known it is, it seems to have cropped up a few times and I'd certainly say tvshow scanning has regressed since Gotham. You'll almost certainly see the same issue on all platforms.

(2014-09-27, 15:38)steve1977 Wrote: So, what you are suggesting is to delete the mysql database and downgrade by OSX HTPC to Gotham. Then scan everything and afterwards upgrade back to Helix Alpha 3. Afterrwards, library scan for movies will continue to work, while tvshows will be a bit hit-and-miss?

Pretty much, yes.

(2014-09-27, 15:38)steve1977 Wrote: Actually, anything that I would be missing if I stay on Gotham? Downgrading openelec should not be too difficult as I could just drop the file into the upgrade folder?

I think most of the Helix changes are in the plumbing, and functionally the changes are not so great. Some platforms have seen more changes than others though, such as R-Pi with the omxplayer/dvdplayer changes.

If all you want is a working system, stick with Gotham. Helix is for testing, and any current problems with Helix are to be expected. One can only hope they're fixed before release... Smile
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-09-27, 16:25)Milhouse Wrote: Hard to say how well known it is, it seems to have cropped up a few times and I'd certainly say tvshow scanning has regressed since Gotham. You'll almost certainly see the same issue on all platforms.

e.g. same problem on windows:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=205250
Got it, I am now downgrading to Gotham. Already did so with my OSC machine and it looks like library scanning works flawless. It also feels a lot faster, but this may or may not be correct. Or caused by other reasons than the downgrade.

The upgrade was not flawless (skin did not show any characters in GUI) and I could not download Gotham add-ons, but only Helix add-ons. So, I had to do a clean install on my OSC HTPC.

For whatever reason, the RPi downgrade went better, but that's probably just because I am lucky that the skin I am using on the Rpi (Conq) still works with Gotham.

Is there anything that is now off with my Rpi openelec install? I assume the addons are somewhat broken? Can I downgrade them or at least downgrade future Helix related addon upgrades?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
(2014-09-27, 16:50)steve1977 Wrote: Is there anything that is now off with my Rpi openelec install? I assume the addons are somewhat broken?

Err... what is on the Pi, Gotham or Helix? Addons may be broken in Helix if they are yet to be updated to work with the new Helix API changes. Same for skins.

(2014-09-27, 16:50)steve1977 Wrote: Can I downgrade them or at least downgrade future Helix related addon upgrades?
Not sure what you are asking.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Sorry. Let me be more explicit what I now did:

MYSQL server (on windows) - I have deleted the video and music databases that were created by Helix

HTPC1 on OSX (that has an i5 and I am using to scan the library) - did a clean install as T! skin was broken

HTPC2 with openelec - downgraded from Helix to Gotham 13.2 and things miraculously skill work.

I am now asking whether there is anything I can do (besides a clean install) that will allow me to install Gotham addons on my Rpi. RIght now, the repository is set up to install Helix. Is it as "easy" as deleting Addons16.db? Or anything else that I will need to do?
(2014-09-27, 17:03)steve1977 Wrote: I am now asking whether there is anything I can do (besides a clean install) that will allow me to install Gotham addons on my Rpi. RIght now, the repository is set up to install Helix. Is it as "easy" as deleting Addons16.db? Or anything else that I will need to do?

Once you've put Gotham on your Pi, you'll need to use Gotham repositories and addons.
I suggest to stick with stock Gotham builds until everything is working and only ever upgrade to Helix once it's stable and you already know your way around in setting up a central database etc. It just doesn't make sense trying to build a setup with a central database using mixed Helix nightlies. You can use nightlies for testing, but only that.

Btw - the issues you're facing are one of the reasons why we would like to get rid of MySQL support in it's current form.
There's no reason to believe it's MySQL related, though.
(2014-09-27, 19:34)da-anda Wrote: I suggest to stick with stock Gotham builds until everything is working and only ever upgrade to Helix once it's stable and you already know your way around in setting up a central database etc. It just doesn't make sense trying to build a setup with a central database using mixed Helix nightlies. You can use nightlies for testing, but only that.

Btw - the issues you're facing are one of the reasons why we would like to get rid of MySQL support in it's current form.

NOOOOOO
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Everything downgraded to Gotham. Library scan works faster than ever. Complete mysql database has been created. RPi with my massive library is now lightning fast.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Just realized that I am still facing some minor issues. Only with some selected tvshows and most likely unrelated to the previous issues. I have posted in the OSX section, but also curious whether you have any ideas based on the log. Southpark does only scan half of the episodes although all have proper NFO files.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=304972
I believe that I have found the "Helix error" when it comes to not scanning tvshows properly. Some developer can have a look at the thread below please?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=198686

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Openelec alternative to RPI0