Openelec alternative to RPI
The uniformserver page says it installs MySQL sobit should work. Test this one step at a time.

Is MySQL listening on port 3306 on your windows machine? Use netstat

Do you get a connection to it from your rpi? Use telnet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for your message. When using "netstat -a" on the windows pc, it shows it listening on 127.0.0.1:3306. Is this what it is supposed to do? I would have expected this to be 192.168.1.120:3306, which is my domain. Could this be the reason?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Yes it should listen on the 192. address. Suggest you contact unifrmserver support or docs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think I succeeded to change it and it now listen on the 192. address. So, openelec is running using mysql (at least I believe so). I have scanned a few movies just to give it a trial first. Before going further, I wanted to check whether I can now access this mysql database (with "just" 10 movies scanned) from a different computer.

So, I have added exactly the same advanced settings to another HTPC of mine. It is also running Helix-alpha3. Unfortunately, it does not show the 10 movies that I had scanned from openelec. Am I missing anything that I should have done? Do I need to scan the library for these movies to show up?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
You really need to give some debug logs onto pastebin.
And here we go with the log from the second HTPC, which I tried to read the mysql library created from openelec. No movies are shown.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=304126
And from the rpi? Or at least yell us what version it is running?
Here we go with the log from the rpi. Thanks for your help.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=304130

Related question - why does my 2nd rpi log show all the movies. I have deleted the local library and it is empty. so, why still all the movie references?
Your question solved my issue. RPi ran a more recent built and my second HTPC ran Alpha2 of Helix. I upgraded my second one on Helix-Alpha3 and things are working.

Brings me to a separate question. How do I continue doing upgrades? I understand that I need to keep both HTPCs in sync. How does the upgrade progress of the video library works with mysql and do I run at-risk corrupting things when upgrading one and not upgrading the other htpc?
If you upgrade one of your Kodi's to a version that uses a new database format, it will automatically update the database to the new version, without destroying the old.

So then if you scan with the newer version of Kodi, it will update the new database. If you update with the old, it will update the old database. So your two machines will be running out of sync.

Really best to keep them the same major version of Kodi. Now that both are on Helix, they should stay on the same database version. Database version is usually only update with major version changes, eg 12-->13 or 13-->14.
Database versions
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-09-27, 09:39)nickr Wrote: If you upgrade one of your Kodi's to a version that uses a new database format, it will automatically update the database to the new version, without destroying the old.

So then if you scan with the newer version of Kodi, it will update the new database. If you update with the old, it will update the old database. So your two machines will be running out of sync.

Really best to keep them the same major version of Kodi. Now that both are on Helix, they should stay on the same database version. Database version is usually only update with major version changes, eg 12-->13 or 13-->14.

Thanks for your message. As long as the database version only changes with major release (12->13->14), this will be easy for me to "manage". Issue was that the database version was different between Helix-alpha2 and Helix-alpha3.

You described well the update process and how it can eventually come out sync: What happens if I update the second htpc delayed. Will they eventually come in-sync again? Building on your example: "So then if you scan with the newer version of Kodi, it will update the new database. If you update with the old, it will update the old database."

Thanks again!
I was about to declare success because all movies were scanned into library and work on both my HTPCs. Unfortunately, I did not succeed to scan my tvshow library beyond a handful of episodes. Log from my second HTPC (OSX) below:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=304202
Its nearly 11 pm. Good night!
(2014-09-27, 10:52)steve1977 Wrote: I was about to declare success because all movies were scanned into library and work on both my HTPCs. Unfortunately, I did not succeed to scan my tvshow library beyond a handful of episodes. Log from my second HTPC (OSX) below:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=304202

Code:
16:49:23 T:4592656384   ERROR: VideoInfoScanner: Exception while scanning.
16:49:23 T:4592656384   DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScanFinished from xbmc

Not sure of the reason for this particular exception, but it's a growing trend - TV Show scanning is pretty flaky right now.Sad

To be honest, given the state of TV Show scanning in Helix, you're probably better off using a Gotham build to create your TV show library, then upgrade the db to Helix. At least that way you can get the bulk of your episodes scanned into the library, although adding new episodes is still going to be a lottery...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Openelec alternative to RPI0