Vertical black bars with full screen movies
So I'm watching a movie with the most recent xbmc/Kodi release. It's labeled on the DVD cover as a full screen movie. When I play it through my PS3 it plays in full screen with no black bars. But for some reason in xbmc my DVD rip plays with black bars on the side like an old 4x3 tv. I've tried changing ATI setting in the CCC and changing the fullscreen setting in the expert panels and it still shows the black bars. Does anybody have some suggestions on how to get rid of them?
Debug log (wiki)
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Here's my debug log. I hope it helps to explain my issue.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=292965

Also I went though and made another rip of a movie I knew was having an issue and even the MKV was showing in 4x3 format on the computer. What's weird is some movies and shows that are fullscreen are showing in fullscreen. But there are some that show as 4x3 one example is Star Trek TNG
What movie are you playing in the log?

what is the output of mediainfo on the rip?

PS if it is the Charlie Brown stuff, it is probably 4:3, at least according to this http://www.dvdmg.com/charliebrownchristmasbr.shtml

Also they didn't make TV in anything other than 4:3 in those days IIRC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It was charlie browns Christmas. It's weird how when I play the movie on my player it plays fullscreen but the rip will only play 4:3

There are about 20 other movies that ended up doing this as well as Star Trek TNG like I said earlier.
Maybe you are ripping them wrong.

If you want to play a 4:3 movie like CB's Xmas fullscreen on a 16:9 screen, you either stretch it horizontally (and everyone looks fat) or you crop the top and bottom and stretch in both directions. Neither is very satisfactory.

You still haven't given any mediainfo output.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry, how do I do that?
You run a programme called mediainfo. It will give you all sorts of info about the file. I don't run windows, but I know mediainfo is available for windows.
OK so I don't know how to post stuff from mediainfo but this is what it tells me for Kiki's Delivery service both the MKV file and the M4V file I made because I wanted a smaller file.

MKV which plays in fullscreen
Quote:English, 5 758Kbps, 720*480 (16:9), MPEG Video (component) (version 2) (main@main) (custommatrix)

m4v Which shows black bars on side like a 4:3 video
Quote:1 017 Kbps, 720*464 (16:10), at 24.061 fps, AVC ([email protected]) (CABAC / 4 Ref Frames)

any idea how to reduce the file size but still be able to keep the 16:9 look of the movie?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vertical black bars with full screen movies0