Launch Raspberry Pi XBMC as external player
Yes, it sounds strange, but the Raspberry Pi has been the only device to play my videos using a/v sync with no audio drift issues (I've used many different pc's with various nvidia/ati cards, and I couldn't escape the audio drift problem.)

I want XBMC on a pc to send a command to the XBMC on raspberry pi to play a shared movie. I'm using eventghost. My problem is using payload wildcards with JSONRPC.

I can launch direct movies, if I do this:

[{"file":"smb://192.168.1.7/My Videos/Movies/Kung Fu Panda/Kung Fu Panda.mp4"}]

But I cannot figure out how to use payloads. I've tried setting it as:

[{"file":"{eg.event.payload[0]}"}]
And setting the event as Main.pi

and launching

Eventghost -e pi smb://192.168.1.7/My Videos/Movies/Kung Fu Panda/Kung Fu Panda.mp4

fails. The Log give parameter errors. What am I missing?
On xbmc machine one choose a movie in your library. Press context menu button, then play using. Choose the rpi. This relies on upnp, so turn it on first.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well that was easy, thank you for the response!
I forget how it's done, but it's even possible to use a UPnP target with the external player (wiki) feature in XBMC/Kodi, so it automatically plays on the Pi when you select a video.

And yes, the Pi actually has a wicked awesome VPU that handles videos better than many PCs, even if the CPU is a little slow in comparison :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launch Raspberry Pi XBMC as external player0