Freezing after alt tab, or another software over.
Hi,

So the problem is that xbmc crashes on some point and starts freezing on alt tab(doenst really freeze, have to wait like 3-4 mins and it works again) and is super slow. Starting xbmc is also super slow after that. I have reinstalled whole windows 7 for this. But nope it just starts again allways after some crash or something. If I alt tab it still runs okay on background, but when i make window active it freezes picture and takes like 1minute to run normally again.
Any ideas?

So the basic info what you might seek:

1. Version of XBMC 13.2 gotham.
2. Windows 7 sp2(64bit)
3. Amd athlon 3500+
4. RAM amount 8GB DDR3
7. Debug log:
http://pastebin.com/1vvdBRYw
Nope, it continues again. It stopped for 1 hour and now still same problem..
(2014-09-14, 20:15)Eal90 Wrote: Hi,

So the problem is that xbmc crashes on some point and starts freezing on alt tab(doenst really freeze, have to wait like 3-4 mins and it works again) and is super slow. Starting xbmc is also super slow after that. I have reinstalled whole windows 7 for this. But nope it just starts again allways after some crash or something. If I alt tab it still runs okay on background, but when i make window active it freezes picture and takes like 1minute to run normally again.
Any ideas?

So the basic info what you might seek:

1. Version of XBMC 13.2 gotham.
2. Windows 7 sp2(64bit)
3. Amd athlon 3500+
4. RAM amount 8GB DDR3
7. Debug log:
http://pastebin.com/1vvdBRYw

I was just going to post a topic about this very same issue! You were more patient than I was, as I've just been killing the process. Big Grin

But yes, XBMC freezes when alt-tabbed upon (not always, but often enough). So far I noticed it ísn't doing it when leaving Library mode, and going running in file mode.

LOL, indeed, after doing well for a bit, XBMC 'stopped responding' after all.
I can't reproduce with current master. Please try a nightly and report back. I would not expect any fixes to 13.x anymore.
(2014-09-20, 19:59)FernetMenta Wrote: I can't reproduce with current master. Please try a nightly and report back. I would not expect any fixes to 13.x anymore.

You have to wait a while for it to occur. Smile Usually after like 10 minutes or so of having run in the background. I'm guessing this is somehow related to the screen-saver functionality or something.
ahh, so the issue is not alt tab in terms of the button press but running XBMC in the background?
(2014-09-21, 07:40)FernetMenta Wrote: ahh, so the issue is not alt tab in terms of the button press but running XBMC in the background?

Well, with 'in the background' I meant alt-tabbed away, to run another program. Smile I never noticed this on my media center (near my TV), as XBMC is always the active screen. I only saw it happen, since yesterday, having installed XBMC on my main Windows 7 machine too (where I usually do other things than watching the XBMC screen, when listening to music).

Btw, XBMC keep running when you don't alt-tab to it (like it keeps playing next track and such); but then, occassionally, when you alt-tab to it, it's completely frozen ('stopped responding') and needs to be killed.
What happens when you disable the screensaver in XBMC ?
A Windows dev should look at this. There are related issues: if you have XBMC fullscreen on one monitor and click anything on the other, XBMC minimizes itself.
(2014-09-22, 08:42)Kib Wrote: What happens when you disable the screensaver in XBMC ?

Running it with 'Dim' disabled now. We'll see. Thing is, the 'stopped responding' thing (as usual) is never entirely predictable: sometimes it will lock up, and sometimes it won't.

Screensaver was just a hunch I was having, btw; not sure (yet) whether that was really the cause.

Also, the 'stopped responding' thing is rather severe, in that, once it happens, you can't alt-tab out of XBMC any more, either. Only a CtrL-Alt-Del, at that point, will allow you to get a task manager, to kill it.

EDIT: Sadly, it made no difference. Sad
Hey guys, I've been having this issue for 6 - 8 months now. I've been dealing with it but it is really quite annoying. I've gone thru several iterations of attempts to get this fixed. Most recently I've disabled every skin and addon that isn't bolted to the OS. Disabled anti virus, every non essential task, disabled aero and all windows appearance "niceties". After that I had it run for about 24 hours without this incident occuring, where I could minimize and maximize and return to full screen, and alt-tab out and back in without any crash. Then it started happening again. Also just installed a fresh copy of Kodi Alpha 4. Same problem within 5 min. One thing I did notice was it seems to behave for a while after rebooting the system. Also, the actual "crash" doesn't happen until trying to restore the program.

I'm running windows 7 64
ATI Radeon 5450 with latest drivers and catalyst software
Using a NAS with SMB for my library
Hooked up to a single Panasonic TV using HDMI 1.4

I can do any other diagnostics you guys would like to get you the information you need to get this problem fixed.
(2014-10-06, 20:55)dhaus111 Wrote: Hey guys, I've been having this issue for 6 - 8 months now. I've been dealing with it but it is really quite annoying. I've gone thru several iterations of attempts to get this fixed. Most recently I've disabled every skin and addon that isn't bolted to the OS. Disabled anti virus, every non essential task, disabled aero and all windows appearance "niceties". After that I had it run for about 24 hours without this incident occuring, where I could minimize and maximize and return to full screen, and alt-tab out and back in without any crash. Then it started happening again. Also just installed a fresh copy of Kodi Alpha 4. Same problem within 5 min. One thing I did notice was it seems to behave for a while after rebooting the system. Also, the actual "crash" doesn't happen until trying to restore the program.

I'm running windows 7 64
ATI Radeon 5450 with latest drivers and catalyst software
Using a NAS with SMB for my library
Hooked up to a single Panasonic TV using HDMI 1.4

I can do any other diagnostics you guys would like to get you the information you need to get this problem fixed.

I'm really 'glad' this is occurring in Kodi too, as I was getting the distinct impression it was being ignored because it seemingly only happened in XBMC.
It was happening at least as far back as Frodo...
ive been doing a little research into this problem on my machine. i now believe that the problem only happens if my machine had been suspended and then resumed. I've run several instances over 24+ hours now with suspending disabled and have minimized, alt-tabbed and stress tested to my hearts content and haven't been able to break it. However when i suspend either from inside xbmc or from the start menu, it crashes as soon as it is minimized. I'm hoping this may be recreated.

my specs are:

Radeon 5450
Intel G33 Chipset
Core2 Quad q6600
3GB mem
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
HDMI 1.4 to Panasonic TV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freezing after alt tab, or another software over.0