Ouya vs Amazon Fire TV
Picked up a couple of FTV's a couple of weeks ago, rooted them and run XBMC on them for local media playback over my network.

I was trying to sell one and someone is offering me his used Ouya plus $60.

Just wondering for those that have used both, what are the differences between the 2 ?

Will I notice any performance drop as far as XBMC and playing local media is concerned ?
Raw performance wise, I'm honestly not sure, but I doubt there would be a major difference as far as XBMC is concerned. I would value a used OUYA at about $50, mostly due to the existence of other products, but it is still a fairly good box on it's own merits.

FireTV will likely have better wifi, and maybe even better bluetooth performance, but I can't say for sure. FireTV has some basic CEC support, while the OUYA does not have any CEC support. The biggest thing the FireTV has over other Android boxes is the remote-friendly Netflix and Amazon video clients. You can still get these clients on OUYA or other Android-based boxes, but they're not 100% remote friendly, which requires using a mouse or airmouse to fully use them. Right now the FireTV still allows you to sideload, but some people worry about Amazon eventually removing this ability and thus requiring some kind of "jailbreak"-like action to load XBMC/Kodi onto the device. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about that actually happening, but it is a realistic possibility considering what Amazon has done with their Fire tablets.

OUYA has a small fan that isn't really noticeable, but might bother some people who are extra sensitive to such things. OUYA is easier to sideload things onto. OUYA has even updated the firmware to allow you to drag-and-drop apps using a web browser on a desktop computer, directly onto the OUYA. You can even load up an entire replacement Android OS on the OUYA, so in the long run people should have more control over the OUYA hardware than they do the FireTV hardware. The default OUYA firmware seems to have issues when dealing with multiple local USB drives, but seems to be okay with just one USB drive and/or any number of network shares.
I installed XBMC on my FTV and it works well and quickly. But one issue may be critical; USB drives are not recognized by FireTV. I've already run out of room on the device.
Have you allowed your Fire TV to update. There is a way to use USB storage, method. But have to have root, which is no longer possible after firmware 51.1.1.0_user_511070220. Bad time to have lost root it looks like the fun has just begun clockworkmod was released today. Custom ROMs could be just around the corner.

I find aftvnews to be the best source for Fire TV. Nice and clean website, news, guides, and firmware upgrade info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ouya vs Amazon Fire TV0